Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman idea crazy or cool?
Quote | Reply
Was considering doing a back to basics ironman sometime, without all the cool toys...Perhaps IMNZ 05.

My idea was

Swim -no wetsuit (a rather chilly experience at Taupo)

Bike-basic wheels(32spoke box rims), no aerobars, steal frame, and most important of all on a single speed bike, 1 gear for 180km.

Run-well not sure it could be much simpler.

What do you guys think, would this be an awesome cool challenge or is it just a dumb idea?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman idea crazy or cool? [triguynz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was considering doing a back to basics ironman

Run-well not sure it could be much simpler

You're going to ride a single speed, but you're going to cop out on the run? Barefoot, man- that's basic. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll need a pair of the old school Nikes... the blue with the rubber bottom. Sweet.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Idea. Old School Rules!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman idea crazy or cool? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I avoided suggesting that. Would love to do it barefoot, (both the run and the bike), or with minimalist sand shoes, but the resulting broken shins, knees hips are more than what I was bargaining on :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that the idea of an Ironman IS crazy to begin with, your proposal is just an additional degree of craziness. But, if it floats your boat, why not? Maybe add no using any prepared nutrition products....when you eat, eat a sandwich or a banana. No caffeine allowed, of course, but, Yohimbe bark would be acceptable, etc.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rat traps!

And I wouldn't hold it against you if you had a few gears.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman idea crazy or cool? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats an interesting idea Titan hadn't though of that one. Might be a good one for those bushman types, bound to be a bit of road kill on the coarse possum anyone? High protein, low fat , not much carbs though.

A bit off topic but I always wondered about McDonalds, there is one on the course(three times on the bike, five times on the run), does drive through count as "outside assistance"? Hehe..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh it's crazy alright, but here's my pick for "Old School" running gear:

1. Shoes: Chucky T's (white/low cut)
2. Socks: White knee-high tube socks with red or blue racing stripes at the top.
3. Shorts: Something out of a 1970's gym class. Preferably with piping around the edges.
4. T-Shirt: Something retro. I'd pick a T-shirt with say... The Edgar Winter Group on it... (I wonder where that shirt went...)
5. Some kind of headband from back in the day. Maybe tie-dyed.
6. Leave the Elton John sunglasses at home. No sense going over the top here!

Good luck!

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mate, if you are going commando in Taupo in March then forget your plans for the bike/run because they will be dragging your frozen arse out of the lake (if you are lucky) before the clock hits 7.30 on race morning.

But you would get one hell of a cheer at the start....

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman idea crazy or cool? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not commando mate, although there wouldn't be much for the speedo's to hide after an hour in the lake.

It would be tough, and would need to maintain a good layer of body fat (no problem there) but I think it could be done, although last year with the bad weather the lake temp was below what the rules allow for no wetsuit, so wouldn't of been a go then. Most years though I think it is above the minimum required temp by about 1 degree.

Has anyone done Taupo half or full without a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, if you do it, then full credit to you and I will be the first to buy you a beer at the end of the day ;

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm just fat, but I thought Taupo was doable without a wetsuit last year. I was very comfy in my fullsuit. It would have been cold, but doable. I realize I am in the clear minority with that opinion. I have swum in Lake Michigan and Lake Superior in much colder water with no wetsuit, although not that long.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman idea crazy or cool? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its still a few months away yet, but the idea does appeal, so I might have to give it a go.

Can feel myself shivering already.

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman idea crazy or cool? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe I'm just fat, but I thought Taupo was doable without a wetsuit last year. I was very comfy in my fullsuit. It would have been cold, but doable. I realize I am in the clear minority with that opinion. I have swum in Lake Michigan and Lake Superior in much colder water with no wetsuit, although not that long.

I think your right, it is doable. although there are rules regarding wetsuit use. I beleive it was cold enough last year that they were compulsory. Don't know what the minimum temp is where you have to wear a wetsuit, think its about 16 or 18 degrees C, does anyone here know?

Last year they said teh water temp was 16 a few degrees colder than normal, due to the awful weather the week before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of a road bike, see if you can borrow the Kennett brother's penny-farthing that they rode around Taupo last week ! And for the swim, maybe you can grease yourself up like those old Channel swimmers used to do (not sure if they still do or not). With a getup like this, you pre-date even the good old days of triathlon by about a century - go for it!

Cheers

Barry(shivering for you in Florida)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this has been done before by a few folks at Ironman Canada in the past:

swim: no wetsuit

bike: on a beater bike

Run: whatever

Great idea though. I have often thought if I ever come out of "retirement" that I would do an IM this way.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got to do it dude! I would fly back from WA to watch.

The swim suit should be an old school full length job from the turn of the century.

The bike should have a basket on to carry your lunch which must include a hot thermos (you will need it after the swim!)

For the run - watch Chariots of Fire then dress appropriately.

Don't worry about the cold water - you just need to do some cold water acclimatisation as well as fat loading (didn't Philip Rush do a triple crossing of lake Taupo in speedos a few years ago?)
Quote Reply