Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sufferers of Mortons Neuroma
Quote | Reply
Ok... It's been 9 weeks since my Morton's Neuroma (maybe) sidelined me. I've been to the podiatrist and received 3 cortizone shots over a 4/5 week period. It was feeling better but not gone. I've gone off the anti-inflamatory medication two weeks ago. I've only run 3 times in the past 9 weeks (2 miler, 3 miler, 6 miler) The last run was two weeks ago.

I wake up this morning and it's the worse it's been in 6 weeks.

My foot has a burning sensation when I flex my toes upward. It feels as though there is a 1" long, 3mm wide stone under my foot along my 2nd & 3rd metatarsals, just behind the ball of the foot into the arch. Stiff soled shoes (Office shoes/wing tips) feel better then flexible soles (Sneakers). The swelling on the top of the foot disappeared 6 weeks ago, as I can see my metatarsal bones on the top of my foot, compared to pre-cortizone shots, where the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th metatarsals were swollen.

How long do these injuries take to heal? It only started to bother me about 3 or 4 weeks before I let it sideline me, so it's not like I ran with the ailment for months or years before I received treatment. 9 weeks isn't long enough? I'd like to be able to start running by January 1st , but damn is this injury a pain in the foot;-)

Again, looking for some support.
Quote Reply
Re: Sufferers of Mortons Neuroma [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that you said, "looking for some support." You actually are looking for some support. Not nice people telling you it'll be OK, but metatarsal support. Maintaining the metatarsal arch (yep, there is/should be one) with a metatarsal pad (PLACED CORRECTLY!) may be the ticket you're looking for. I repeat, must be placed correctly (posterior to metatarsal heads) in order to work. I agree that it may seem odd to put a big lump in the bottom of your shoe... It's a cheap thing to try & will increase the space between the metatarsals. Look at Hapad.com, they make some good ones & have some info on their site.

Good luck,

Lehmkuhler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although not as severe as you desribe your condition, I've suffered with morton's neuroma pain for about two years now. Lehmkuhler is correct in that metatarsal pads seem to help the most. By now you've probably heard it all...ie. "try running on softer surfaces" (works opposite for me, the harder the surface, the less the pain), or "get a shoe with a wide toe box"

I've also had some great advice from this site, do a search for past posts. Might want to try the "cutting a hole in your insole" trick. Different things work for different people.

At any rate, I'm no doc, but sounds like you may have to have surgery.

I am very interested in your progress, please keep posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MN has definitely been a bitch to get through - I feel for ya. Personally, I'd stay away from cortisone shots as they only are addressing your symptoms and not the real problem - growth on the nerve. My podiatrist advised against surgery as it can redevelop, but you should get your docs' opinion and maybe a second docs' opinion as well. There was a thread on here that debated that subject if you do a search - can't remember exactly when. Also, you can search Gordo's OLD forum on coachgordo.com and it has been discussed with different solutions. As they said above, you'll have to experiment with shoes and pads in your running AND other shoes as these can contribute. I found that cycling aggrevated my Neuroma, especially on cold days, so I put my running shoe inserts in my cycling shoes and that has helped a lot. I also experimented with different pads in my dress shoes. It flares up now and then, but is generally a lot better and more tolerable.
Quote Reply