Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainers hard on bike frames?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the foot of new snow outside, and realizing that most of my riding this winter will be on the Computrainer. My husband is of the opinion that I shouldn't use my new P3 in the trainer, as they are hard on the bike frame. Any thoughts?

Re: Trainers hard on bike frames? [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bet a trainer is easier on a bike frame than carrying it in a fork mounted roof rack. I train 2 out of 3 days a week exclusively on a Computrainer and have never had any frame issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers hard on bike frames? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two winters ago, I called Cervelo and asked the very same question. The customer service rep told me that it was not a problem. I haven't had any problems with the bike structurally or handling-wise after putting it back on the road.....The bike stays mounted and sees about 8-15 hours of service per week. I worry more about keeping the sweat cleaned off than I do the bike frame.

B-

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered" -George Best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd worry more about corrosion control than frame fatigue. If a cervelo can handle my 200lbs hitting a giant pothole at 45 mph then I wouldn't be too concerned about riding the trainer. Keep an especially close eye on stem and headset area as it gets the most sweat abuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't hurt the frame...Just need to keep the sweat off the handlebar/headset area as others have mentioned. I use a coating of vaseline that area all the time to keep as much moisture off as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers hard on bike frames? [blevyibr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good point. Good thing I glisten instead of sweat. But to that end, I keep a stack of towels next to me when I ride and keep my cockpit covered at all times. I usually switch towels every 30-40 minutes so they don't get too saturated. Seems to have worked well as I've never had any corrosion issues on aluminum components.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone!

Quote | Reply
Crashingirl, why not get a set of rollers. Much easier on the frame and more fun. Try riding in the aero position and see how high RPM you can ride in !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers hard on bike frames? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with this. While a trainer will undoubtebly exert some stresses on a bike frame it is probably much better than a roof rack and maybe even better than what happens to it when you ride it outside on a really bad road.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers hard on bike frames? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heavy sweaters need to be advised about corrosion around waterbottle cages, headsets, brake and derailleur cables/adjusters, and even cranks. I can't tell you how many bikes that I have worked on that been trashed by sweat. Often costing a $50 -75 in parts and labor to fix. I have seen a couple of incidents where fork ends were bent on the frames fixed to the trainer. Just because it is indoors does not eliminate the need for maintenance. G
Quote Reply