Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which country has the best athletes?
Quote | Reply
In general...and in your opinion...which country has the best overall set of athletes?

Larger countries have the advantage b/c of a bigger pool to choose from...

I suppose we can use Olympic medals as one objective measure - but would be curious to hear the other nationals out there make the case for their countries....

Discuss....
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to look at per-captia, it's hard to beat New Zealand - only 4 million people but they have had their fair share of great endurance athletes over the years: Many Olympic Medlists, world record holders and World Champions.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...I guess I'm thinking of not just endurance athletes (gasp!)

but more of the major sports too...soccer, baseball, basketball, cricket for that matter...running, discuss...swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want to be responsible for starting WWIII!!!

Here I go:
USA because of population and economics=more people, more opportunities.

Without looking at statistics I would say Australia based on their population>> Great swimmers, triathletes, surfers, runners, and cyclists. Canada great with winter sports and triathlon. Asian Countries> China, South Korea, Japan. Former Soviet Union Countries. And dont forget the Brazilian womens volleyball team! New Zealand always seems to be tops in sailing and now triathlon.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a very interesting article that I read a few years ago that devided the great athletes of the world into two groups - those that came from west Africa and those that cames from East Africa. When I say "came from", I mean either directly or by migration or immigration

Athletes from west Africa rule sports were explosive force is a key to success - track sprinting, basketball, American Footbal, soccer.

Athletes from East Africa rule distance running. In fact pretty much ALL the best distance runners in the world come from a few small tribal groups in Ethiopia and Kenya.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switzerland has the highest Olympic gold medals per capita of any country. Not saying that means they have the best athletes, since not every sport is represented in the Olympics. But at least according to the Olympics, they would technically have the best "best athlete" density.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...no, if I wanted to do that I'd comment on how painful it was that I had to spend watching the Bears play while I spent my holiday in Chicago with the gf's family!

I think the USA has to have it...simply b/c of the amount of resources we have and the priority we put on excelling in athletics.

No, we'll never win the handball or field hockey medal - but it's hard to argue that we aren't able to at least compete in most sports.

I'm curious to know what the Europeans think of this....or what country they'd rank as highly...not trolling, just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liechtenstein is the most successful Olympic Nation, if counting all the Olympic games of modern times.
Nine medals, 34,000 people.
( http://users.skynet.be/hermandw/olymp/reloly.html )

Overall, I'd say USA has the best athletes, as they have enough facilities, standard of living high enough, and enough population to compete at world stage in a variety of sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
...no, if I wanted to do that I'd comment on how painful it was that I had to spend watching the Bears play while I spent my holiday in Chicago with the gf's family!

I think the USA has to have it...simply b/c of the amount of resources we have and the priority we put on excelling in athletics.

No, we'll never win the handball or field hockey medal - but it's hard to argue that we aren't able to at least compete in most sports.

I'm curious to know what the Europeans think of this....or what country they'd rank as highly...not trolling, just curious. [/reply]

The bears suck, they are just like the cubs, they give you some hope and then they start losing again. What was really sad is the badgers blowing their last two games. Whats up with that?

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...wow, that's a good point. I shouldn't have gone there about the Bears with my Badgers blowing my 3rd Rose Bowl trip...no you got me all depressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didnt mean to depress you. I am a Badger fan also. And now that the bears have no chance i am routing for Favre.

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [ironroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typical.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely India. Ya know... Cricket and all. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if we look at the last olympics medals, sure has gotta be the USA. They have more medals and less habitants than China. My guess though is that China will win more medals that the US in 2008.

Anyway if we think of triathletes only, I'd say Australia and Germany are the two top nations.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that "we" (the USA) don't put nearly as much money in per capita as other countries. 6% of all USOC expenditures go to funding athletes. The vast majority goes to adminstrative expenses. The USOC spends more on "uncategorized expenses" than they do on funding athletes. I have some friends on the US National Rowing Team who had to pay for their own plane tickets to Athens. And of that 6%, which is pretty paltry to begin with, a signle athlete rarely gets more than $5,000, which is hardly enough to live on. Look at the struggle that Gary Hall, Jr. trying to compete as a post-collegiate swimmer. Or Mohini Bartwarj, the gymnast, who wouldn't have been able to go without a the amazing generosity of Pamela Anderson (yes, that Pamela Anderson). Companies like the Home Depot have stepped up, but it isn't their responsibility. If the US wants to continue to win medals, then we need to make a commitment to supporting athletes, something that we don't do right now. The fact that we are currently able to compete in most sports is a testament to the athletes, not the commitment of the country (at least, the government).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyway if we think of triathletes only, I'd say Australia and Germany are the two top nations.

Well, I might disagree with that, for a couple of good reasons.

Broadly speaking, isn't the richest country the one that produces the best and most athletes?

Wouldn't a better question be 'which country has the healthiest and most active population, overall?'

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Which country has the best athletes? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wouldn't a better question be 'which country has the healthiest and most active population, overall?'

that's VERY hard to tell, I don't believe anyone can guess that one...

anyway, I'd say Japan and China... personal opinion..

one thing for sure, Portugal isn't it

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Nov 29, 04 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, it would be hard to guess. But if you looked at longevity for men/women and disease rates etc you might see some interesting facts. Also if you could measure participation rates then that would tell you something. These should rise in temperate climes but be lower in very cold or very hot places, I would guess.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well if we look at the last olympics medals, sure has gotta be the USA. They have more medals and less habitants than China. My guess though is that China will win more medals that the US in 2008.

What about the US or Canada for tri? ITU women top 3 at one point was all US, and Canadian woman rock at IM distance. Plus Peter Reid, Tim DeBoom and many others from North American. I dont disagree with Australia or Germany. And what about NZ?

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply