Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going under the knife - Does it freak you out too?
Quote | Reply
Well, today I undergo my first ever surgery, and I have to admit, I have been freaking out for days. It's relatively minor surgery to repair an inguinal hernia, but having never been put under and/or cut open, I am very much less than enthusiastic about the whole thing.

Afterwards, I won't be able to do anything for at least a week, maybe two(the recovery time is advertised as 3-5 days to return to normal activity, but by 'normal activity' they mean for couch potatoes) which is a major drag.

As it turns out, I have had this for quite some time(since spring at least) but, being a knucklehead, at first I thought it was just fat. So if you find that you have a bulge in your groin area(other than the one that should be there), you might have a hernia.

For those of you who have had surgery, were you apprehensive or just plain terrified by the prospect? Or am I just a whiny little b****(like my wife says)?

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Going under the knife - Does it freak you out too? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No - I've been under the knife enough times that it is really no big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Going under the knife - Does it freak you out too? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez...if you were looking forward to surgery....then you might have an issue. You are far from being whiny by being apprehensive. I lost the majority of a lung a while back, which was one of the reasons I started doing this stuff. The idea of someone doing something to you which resembles slicing and sewing should always be unnerving. Anticipate your recovery instead of the table. Good Luck!

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is reason to be a little concerned about surgery, so you are not being a whinny little ------. But, it usually turns out well. Just take it easy for a little while and you should recover just fine. Before knee surgery, I had completed no marathons or triathlons. Since knee surgery, I am up to seven marathons, four triathlons and counting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a hernia operation a few years ago. My biggest concern was that big needle they stick in your arm beforehand. I was actually looking forward to the anesthesia because I heard it was cool. The doctor told me to look at the clock and count back from 10, then the second I wake up to look at it again. The clock read 10:10, I blinked, and it read 10:50. Pretty f*cking cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had a vasectomy done last Monday. I kind of freaked out before, because I was saying bye bye to my swimmers, but it is a good decision. The surgery itself took 15 minutes and was no biggie. Aparrently, Valium doesn't mellow me out, but makes me hyper. My girlfriend can tell stories of nurses chasing me in the office.

You are not whiny at all though. It is a scary thing to undergo surgery. Especially in the lower abdominal area close to the "boys".

I recovered well, and rode 20 miles on Sunday with no problem.

You will be just fine. Just listen to the doctor, and have your wife take care of you. Remind her when she feels like crap that you would take care of her also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 years ago I had bilaterial inguinal hernia repair, I had had the right hernia for about 5 years, and the left one was just starting to show. Needless to say the right one hurt like a SOB, and it sucked....back then I was also a rock climber and after 2 weeks down time I was climbing again, it took about 2 weeks of climbing before I was back where I was before the surgery...and that was with a killer herina. I think that you'll be good to go in a week, climbing uses more core strength than running/cycling (I'm not saying that running/cycling don't use core strength, but climbing uses more). Hope it goes well, and try to shave a little before you get there.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

Best of luck with the procedure. I had both an inguinal and an epigastric hernia operated on simultaneously back in March and things went smoothly. I was back on my fixie commuting to work 7 days after the operation and training seriously within 3-4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmorrissey,

Don't sweat it. I had inguinal hernia surgery one year ago. I've never looked back. It was the first time I had even been in a hospital, so yes -- I was freaking out. But, in hindsight now, I would do it again w/o thinking about it. It's such a common procedure now that it's almost foolproof. Although I can't get an erection at all any more. Just kidding... You will do yourself good not to worry about the surgery and concentrate more on the recovery. Don't try to come back to soon. Take it easy and it will pay off later. You don't want to have to go back in there and repair the hernia repair. Once your tissue weaves into the mesh, it's difficult to re-mesh it. Just so you know, the area where I had my hernia surgery done (right side), is now hard as steel. Psychologically, after your fully recovered from the surgery, the hernia will be out of your head and you can get back to racing really HARD.

Have a good recovery and take it easy coming back. Lots of walking and NO RUNNING!!!!

~AB~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
breathe deep. my 71 year old mother underwent double hernia surgery last year, at age 70. I was worried sick over it and she can out with flying colors. it's going to be ok. have faith and pray about it. you're going to be fine and much better for it.

surgery is scary, so what you feel is normal. if you pray about it, or meditate, it will calm you. also, light some vanilla candles every evening--it has a big calming effect.

kitty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the encouragement and kind words. Everything went well, and I am home now. I am in quite a bit of pain, and they gave me a lot of Percocet.

The procedure was done using a mesh technique, and the anaesthesia was wonderful. One minute I'm climbing onto the operating table, the next minute I'm sitting with my wife in post-op.

My biggest concern is that I want to minimize the amount of downtime that I have to endure, and am getting mixed messages. On the one hand, I'm being told that I will be back to normal activities in a week. On the other hand, the post-op write up says no exercise for four weeks. I just can't see that.

Anyway, Thanks to you all, and I'll keep you posted on my recovery.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmorrissey

i just had the same thing done (with the mesh) at the end of september. It was about 1 week before i felt like myself, i don't do well with pain killers. After two weeks the wound had healed well enough for me to get around without any limitations. In the third week I was given the green light to "let pain by my guide" for physical activity. i started to swim and got on the trainer. Week four felt great and started to ride outside and some easy running on the treadmill. today everything is fine and i don't feel a thing. good luck with your recovery.

jay ladieu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm---let's see. First you are given a drug that puts you totally out, then someone cuts you open, does some repair work, then sews you back together. Seems as if you had every right to be afraid of that scenario regardless if how "routine" the procedure is. On the other hand, it's over now, so concentrate on getting better. My advise: Don't do too much to soon. Let it heal. My qualifications to offer advise: Two hernia repair procedures, double heart valve replacement, and arthroscopic on a knee.

Feel better!

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do anesthesia for a living and believe me, you are much safer on the OR table than you are out on the road on a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you're laying down using the computer and not sitting! I remember that first day or two after sucked! Plus, the Percocet made me puke which REALLY sucked! Stomach clenching motions does feel good at all after having your abdominal wall sliced open....

Hang in there and enjoy getting pampered. You'll be feeling normal 7 - 10 days.

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply