Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! I can't get out the door! Psycho-tri-analysis needed
Quote | Reply
It's like I've got a mental block against going to work out. And I can't even blame it on being overtrained. This seems to happen to me every year, in the past it has happened for vast 2-4 month stretches of the fall that ends with no problem (other than 10 extra pounds) in January. But this year I'm signed up for Ironman USA, and I'm starting to panic that this so-far two week slide won't stop and will completely undermine my training. What is going on -- how do these kinds of slides start and what can I do to stop them for good? More info:
  • I did not train at all between May and August (long story), but once I'd signed up for Ironman USA next year, I made a detailed schedule and I started training faithfully. The current schedule calls for about 10-12 hours a week -- not backbreaking.
  • Work is picking up and has gotten unreasonable in terms of unpredictable, last-minute demands -- last week I worked 12 hours on Sunday and 15 on Monday, but I got myself Tuesday and Friday off in return.
  • The weather is getting chillier and the days shorter as we approach the shortest day of the year.
  • I've started eating bad food again the past couple of weeks and along with the not exercising have gained about 4 pounds so far. I'm drinking and eating impulsively rather than according to my needs.
  • I've made mixed progress toward getting up earlier in the morning but I'm still not working out in the morning like I should.
  • These past few vacation days, I've been sitting around doing nothing at home. It's not like I'm enjoying being a lump on the couch. I'm stressed the whole time about the fact that I am not working out, and yet I cannot motivate to get up and go.
  • Today, I went to the bike store and bought a few new toys to motivate me out onto my long ride. Started watching the football game instead. Now it's dark. No dice.
  • I'm hiring a coach but can't start with her until January ($$$)

I don't know, it all just feels like a big struggle between me and hibernation. It's humiliating because everyone else seems to be a super-jock who never has any trouble psyching up to work out. I know everyone has trouble now and then, but do any of you ever have these epic, multi-week struggles? How do you snap out of them?

"At every endurance event, there comes a time when you'll say, 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' And you'll say, 'This is what I do.' "
- John Spas, as quoted in Bill McKibben's _Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously_
Quote Reply
Re: Help! I can't get out the door! Psycho-tri-analysis needed [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the reward for training and doing LP? What is the reward for not training and doing other things? Which do you want? Name the fear.

Tip: For the next couple of weeks just get back into the routine. 1-2 workouts/day. You can cut a workout short anytime you feel like it, but you must start it and go a minimum of 15 mins.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! I can't get out the door! Psycho-tri-analysis needed [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have the time to do a complete explanation, but you might consider researching S.A.D. - seasonal affective disorder. I'm not one to call every problem we have in life a disease however, I began noticing quite a few years ago the same response in me as daylight dwindled. Consider moving to Rio de Janeiro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are already hopelessly screwed for Ironman USA, but perhaps you can get things back together to put in some minimal performance in 2006 or 2007.

However, you are posting here because you feel some affinity--a kinship--a sense of brotherhood. I'm sure there are some foreign expressions conveying the same snetiment, but they escape me. You are not heavy, you're my brother, and so I feel obligated to hold out the hand of a brother to you.

Perhaps some accountability would be helpful. Perhaps you would like to lie to us each day as to your progress in the areas you have described.

OR: My actual good faith suggestion is to not try to repair them all at the same time. Your habits have slipped. They weren't formed overnight, and didn't slip overnight. Fixing them all at the same time can be daunting, and often a formula for failure. Pick one--whichever one is easiest to fix--and go to work on it. OTOH it sounds like weight comes on pretty easy, so you don't want to let this go to far. Why not work on eating clean again this week. I have let that slip a little but myself, so I will do the same. In fact (and here is the kind of a guy I am) if you want, we can PM each other our eating plans for the week. Mine will be simple because I will eat the same thing everyday. If you do this for a week, you will have this one back on track. Then attack the next one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • I've started eating bad food again the past couple of weeks and along with the not exercising have gained about 4 pounds so far. I'm drinking and eating impulsively rather than according to my needs.
  • -----------------------------------------------------------------
  • In my life I have found this to be a grave sign, this is not the cause but it is definetly an effect. My solution has been to focus on this habit and really try to get back to a healthy diet, I also replace food cravings with a set of core work, followed by eating the forbidden food anyway, well nobodys perfect.

• Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
    Quote Reply
    Re: Help! I can't get out the door! Psycho-tri-analysis needed [Monk] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Monk is right: One thing at a time. Food first, maybe ... Work less if that's possible? 15 hour days suck, especially 2 or 3 a week. That would make me want to lump on the couch too.

I haven't fallen off the exercise wagon in 3+ years, but I have in the past: I tried not to beat myself up: After a 6-month layoff, I would say "I used to run 2 hours, and now it's only 20 minutes: Better than nothing." Baby steps. Good luck -TB
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    a 2 week slide does not leave you "screwed" for IMLP.
    if you choose, just get moving. you will be all right.
    Last edited by: mdtrihard: Nov 28, 04 19:08
    Quote Reply
    Re: Help! I can't get out the door! Psycho-tri-analysis needed [Monk] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Gee-- hopelessly screwed, really? I'm not trying to win the race, just finish my race Ironman. I did have a very good aerobic base before this started two weeks ago. Are you sure about that or just trying to scare me straight?

"At every endurance event, there comes a time when you'll say, 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' And you'll say, 'This is what I do.' "
    - John Spas, as quoted in Bill McKibben's _Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously_
    Quote Reply
    Re: Help! I can't get out the door! Psycho-tri-analysis needed [180cranks] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I did think about this...funny, it doesn't seem to affect me many other ways than working out/not eating great though. Sometimes I wonder if S.A.D. is a diagnosis for modern life trying to hyper-productivize all of us during a time of year when we want to take it a bit easier.

Maybe I'll look into one of those lights though... :)

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Quote:
    hopelessly screwed, really?

Terminally hoplessly screwed. No--I was just kidding about that. Maybe I should have used a smiley face. But see, you are thinking positively already!

BUT, I have read, and others here can give you more credible and correct information, that you lose conditioning a whole lot faster than you gain it, and it is not algebraic or "straight-line", it is logorithmic, i.e. increasing downward curve. You are kind of on the cusp of that happening. Talk to somebody more knowledgeable, but if you can do enough to hang on to what you've got, meanwhile going about fixing the other things--diet first--you at least won't go backwards.

I have no credentials. Just my 2 cents, and my personal experience with trying to do something with an old body after years of neglect, and a lot of reading towards that end.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Monk, for a sarcastic (and very funny) mofo, you sure can pitch in when required. Nice post man.

We're proud of you down here, you little iron finishing simian, you ;

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
    Quote Reply