Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HELP!...my first DNF
Quote | Reply
Well it finally happened. After 12 years of completing and competing in triathlon and the 3 sports individually, I had my first DNF this weekend.

2 weeks ago I was lucky enough to have dinner with Cameron Brown. After being one of the favourites at Kona he finished a disappointing 34th. I asked him why he didn't just pull out and race again another day, for a paycheck. He said that it would make pulling out way to easy from then on, and that he had never dnf'd and didn't want to start. Right answer as far as was concerned. I too had never considered quitting before and even finished IMNZ2000 witha broken skull and broken pelvis! Man am I tough.

This last weekend I was entered and started a 320km race, twice around Lake Taupo in New Zealand. Race started with about 60 riders (for the enduro event, and about 10,000, yes 10,000 riders, for the one lap 160km race) at 1:30 in the morning. It was a cloudless full moon night and bloody cold. It was about 6 deg C at race start and cooled off to 1-2deg C later inthe night. I was well prepared, wearing just about every piece of cycle clothing I own. I was warm enough in general. Some of the long descents were a bit chilly and some of the long climbs were a bit warm, but all reasonably comfortable. My hydration and nutrition was good, with 1 bottle per hour and 2 gels per hour. I was going well and right on my target time for the first lap. I stopped at the house we rented for a few minutes for dry clothes and a potty stop. I flet very good passing the start/finish line. It was good to get the company of the 10,000 solo riders to chat with. Within about 20km the power went out of my legs and my guts went into knots. I ended up stopping and vomiting everyting back to about last wednesday! Far Out!

I knew that with about 130-140km to go, and a builiding headwind, tha tmy day was done. No fluids and all my gels were gone and I was pretty bummed out to have to find out what a sag wagon ride was like. I got back to the deserted finish line and proceeded to lick my metaphorical wounds.

I had a shower, a burger (my treat after a long race) and back to the house for a while.

I'm not depressed or anything, but feel a bit of a loss that my DNF free racing career is over. Anyone else had similar experiences? What to do next? I want to apologise to several people I had planned on meeting after the race, particularly "fulla". Maybe we can meet another time soon. I was just too bummed out to wanna socialize. Hell, I didn't even head to the hot pools afterwards.

:-(

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!...my first DNF [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soft! Weak! Loser! If you yak, you're supposed to man up and gut it out for what, only another 4 hours? Hell, you could've recovered and performed at your best just moments after you had given up!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Nothing wrong with dropping. Think of it this way... what would your physician, your mom, your friends (i.e., anyone but the .1% of the population), all suggest you do when in that situation? Good call.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mate, you rode through the night and did 180ks before something went wrong. Sure it is not a good feeling to DNF but you need to put that into perspective. You didn't mention it in your report, but some of those descents must have been interesting in the cool dark night, no? You have done something which most people will never do, or dream of doing. Well done.

I know we all take this stuff we do veeerrrryyyy seriously, but at the end of the day, we are just running/biking/swimming around in circles, right? So none of it matters very much. You did the right thing. Turn the page, move on. What's next?

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!...my first DNF [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork...i think you made the right decision. 130-140 kms on a day like it was, with a building wind etc would not have been nice, given what you have just said. there does come a time where you have to swallow your pride for real reasons. don't be too hard on yourself.

are you doing the taupo 1/2 im?

i ended up going out after sat nite and drunk way too much. i was not a pretty site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you figured out what happened yet? I am curious if you deviated from what you normally do (sleep, nutrition, hydration) in the week before the race, and what the next few days bring (maybe you were coming down with something). Do you race/train alot in the cold? Could the cold have slowed down you metabolism, and there was more sugar in your stomach than it could process? Is it possible you got a chill (whatever a "chill" is) by going in the warm house at your break, and then back into the cold? Strenuous effort in the cold, stop go in the warmth, go back out for strenuous effort in the cold. Is that a deviation from your normal practice on long efforts.

I am asking for myself--to try to learn from whatever it is happened to you.

You are not the first to Yak at the thought of meeting fulla.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!...my first DNF [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I feel really bad that I DNF'd the Turkeyman due to sheer lazyness. Seriously, sounds like you made the right call. I've been fortunate never to have to DNF a real race, but then I've never puked a weeks worth of food on a course.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!...my first DNF [hammydad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my first dnf this season, dumb stupid 10k that started me racing in the first place. Started ok, felt "off" the first 2 miles, hit mile 4, felt like I was gonna hurl, decided it wasn't important to finish. Had a good day talking to the other racers. Still an A+ day just didn't finish the race.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, i had my first dnf at taupo ironman this year. i threw up from the start of the bike till the 16k mark of the run...where i pulled the pin when i went horizontal. your health os way more important...

but i do now know the shame of a dnf, and the fear that it will come back and bite me in the ass and i will bail on another race. i didn't feel better about the whole racing thing until my next race, which i nailed. getting a dnf had a far greater pschological effect on my than just havong a bad result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first multi-sport event at the Desert Princess Duathlon a few weeks back. Let me tell you that I'm upset with myself that I did not DNF. I hadn't done the run training I should have for completing a 10K/60K/10K. I also didn't take enough fluids in. About 2K into the last 10K run my left hamstring tied up severely, and would proceed to cramp everytime I tried to lift it from there on out. I "toughed" it out due to my ego.

In my opinion toughing it out is being disrespectful to the body, at least in my case. What ended up happening was I basically dragged my left leg for 8K and drastically changed my stride because of it. I'm not a heel striker AT ALL, but to compensate for my temporarily lame left leg I turned into a heavy right footed heel striker, this while wearing worn out over a year old Adidas Cubatos. The result is a fractured right foot, and now I can't run at all. I can still bike, and am still biking, but am scared at even starting running when my foot feels better. How to know if it's fully healed or not?

The point is that our body is precious; it lets us transmit an energy that is beyond us and helps us understand our very nature. I know for a fact I receive more insight during my workouts than any other time of the day, barring dreaming at night possibly, so any other waking time of day. Racing means shit to me compared to being able to train on a daily basis, and I think when it comes down to it most endurance athletes feel about the same way. By punishing our body beyond reason, we often find that we are punishing our mind for a much longer time. Does depression set in because we blew up in a race, or because we are injured and can't train for three months? I think you did the right thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for it now being "easier" in your mind to drop out because you've done it once, I don't think this is necessarily the case - at least it hasn't been for me. I DNF'd for the first time ever in 10 years of racing last January - at the Marathon Popular de Valencia - after just 12 miles. I had the piriformis thing raging (a pre race injury) and hadn't given it enough time to heal. I too like to tough things out, but by the time I hit 20K I was just hobbling along, and decided that was no way to spend a vacation. It wasn't a hard decision.

Anyhow, since that race, and since I let my backside heal up, I haven't looked back. Had one of my best tri seasons, and passed through through some severe gut check races without even thinking of quitting. I know I had honest reasons for DNF'ing that day, and haven't looked back since.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!...my first DNF [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Dork, maybe you just need to focus on the fact that it was your body that decided to shut you down, not your mind. I think a DNF caused by your head saying 'I feel like crap, don't want to do this any more' or 'I'm so far back in the race that I don't see the point is finishing if I can't place' is what Cameron was likely talking about. You obviously were in no shape to keep going, having hurled your cookies and lost any sort of nutritional reserve, and the bod was saying 'OK, mate, if you won't tell yourself to stop, I will'. Sorry about a race gone bad, but it'll still be there next year. Don't beat yourself up, it's not that big a deal, in the overall scheme of things.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply