Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about Ultramarathon Shoes
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be doing my first 2 ultramarathons next year. I'm planning on doing the 50 mile Bull Run Run in April. To prepare for it I will be doing the 50k Hat Run the month before. I need to figure out what kind of shoes I should be wearing.

I figure some kind of trail shoe (duh)... but, any suggestions? I would like it to be light. I hate bulky shoes. I've done trail races up to 13.1 miles before in an old pair of zoom countrys... with no problems.

What do you use? Any other suggestions for the runs? I'm new to ultras!
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Ultramarathon Shoes [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salomon XA pros, or XA race. Great trail shoes for training or racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Ultramarathon Shoes [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I"m gonna have to disagree here. I'm in the same boat you're in, and plan to do my first ultra's next year. I'll be doing the black mountain marathon in preparation for the highlands sky 40 miler. I tried the Salomon XA pro 2's, and agree that they're a great shoe, but they definetly didn't work for me. As an underpronating runner w/ high arches, i need a neutral shoe w/ LOTS of cushioning, and these did not fit the bill. They had too much medial support for my stride type. On a side note, if you do get these shoes, make sure you tuck the lace thingy's under the tongue, they tend to get caught on rocks. I did however find that the montrail masai's work GREAT. They're the first shoe i've ever really loved. Anyways, my .02 worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to agree with the Montrail Masai. They are a great lighter weight trail shoe. Also, if you need something a little more beefy esp. for the 50 miler. Montrail Vitesse or the Hardrock would be an excellent shoe. I have run several 50 mile runs in them and also Western States 100. Good luck...

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it in your training shoe. Nothing new on race day goes even more for ultra marathons. Nothing you are not really familiar with and lots of miles under your belt with on race day.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply