Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Setting proper tension on fluid trainers
Quote | Reply
For those of you who use fluid trainers, I am wondering how you set the tension to best approximate the resistance you get on the road? Or put differently, how do you set the tension so that you can ride with the same output on the trainer and sustain the same mph as you would on the road? Is it all guesswork? Or is there a better way to do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting proper tension on fluid trainers [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second this question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a guideling from Cycleops for set-up, but this is what Tacx recommends, so give it a try...

tire pressure 100psi at all times.

move flywheel towards tire till it is just touching(feathering) the tire. From this point, three full turns of the dial to put pressure on the tire.

This should be done before every ride. Try it and let me know how it goes.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean magnetic trainers? I have a Cycleops2 fluid trainer and there is no adjustment on it or any other fluid trainer that I am aware of other than using your gears. As has been discussed recentley here I find the Cycleops resistance much harder than the road. I don't have a PT or any other power output measuring device so all of my workouts are based on HR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm riding the Cyclops Fluid 2 and wonder the same thing. The resistance is stupidly strong. Is there a way to just drain some fluid out of the unit?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting proper tension on fluid trainers [Ian MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer, and they recommend two full turns. From what I can tell, this level of tension creates far more tension than the road would -- the bigger gears are much harder to push than they would be on the road. That's what prompted me to ask the question. Thanks for your reply.
Quote Reply
Open it up? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a 4mm allen bolt in my resistence unit that's pretty snug right now. Anybody know what will happen if I take it out?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting proper tension on fluid trainers [Ian MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From cycleops...

http://www.cycleops.com/...l%20Version-lres.pdf

"Attaching your bike.

A) Tighten the resistance unit adjustment knob. Once the roller is in contact with the tire turn knob 2-2 1/2 rotations. Tighten more if tire slides.

B) Make sure tires are inflated to proper pressure... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grip the tire with my right hand over the top, and jerk it forward and backward while adjusting the tension knob. I stop tightening when the wheel/tire does not skip/slide on the resistance unit. You have to get a feel for it after a few times. When you get on the bike, if quick acceleration results in a "skip/skid" feeling, it needs to be a little tighter. By going back and forth that way a few times, you will get the feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. I just started using my new trainer (Minoura 850) so I am interested in how people set theirs up and measure effort, etc.

The setup for mine is to turn the knob until it presses 2mm into the tire. Seems about right: I am still messing with it. For now, when I ride in the 42-13 gear (or so) I have an average hr of 135 and a cadence of 75-80. When I ride in an easier gear, say 42-21, with a hr of 135, my cadence is closer to 100. This seems fine (ie- the right amount of resistence) ... Any other ideas for setting it up and measuring effort? Thanks -TB
Quote Reply