Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

a little more help from those in Cali please
Quote | Reply
In regards to an ealier post I made about coming out to Cali for a february training camp. I think we have it down to either Monterey/Big Sur area or Cambria. Anyone have any thoughts on this either way? How close will we be to some nice big long steady climbs? We've decided to stay on the coast as the weather should be warmer and more predictable than in the mountains, and we'll have better access to some flatter roads for recovery days. When you west coaster's wake up from you turkey coma today, I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks again guys and gals.

Ian and Jen

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [Ian MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know that's in the middle of the rain season in Nor Cal. The Pebble Beach Pro-Am in Monterey gets rain almost every year and the storms can be fierce.

Not sure if it will be better in Cambria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cambria is a nice little town. You will be pretty close to a couple of good climbs. Hwy 46 from the coast inland is a steady, longish climb with a nice bike lane. Santa Rosa creek road from Cambria towards Hwy 46 is a very scenic ride, but the climb is shorter and steeper towards the end. You could combine the two for a nice loop with a lot of climbing. For a flat recovery ride you can ride Hwy 1 south towards San Luis Obispo and back. This can be windy at times.

Another option in the Central Coast area you may want to look at is Solvang/Buelton. Carmichael puts training camps based out of there. You would have access to a lot of climbing, and be close to Figueroa Mountain.

Happy Riding!
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I would think about somewhere else. It is cold and rainy up there. Once you get north of point conception there is a dramatic weather change. there are not good options for airports into either place. Don't get me wrong both places are beautiful but cold in winter. I looked up a website for Santa Barbara, coastalhideaways.com and there were some pretty decent options for $800-900 a week with kitchens. I have no vested interest in anybody coming to Santa Barbara but the training is awesome. Also your Tucson idea is a very good also. I might spend a bit of time there this winter also. Tucson is a lot more reliable for dry weather than anywhere on the Cali. coast.

Kerry Classen
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [kaclassen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey kerry (or anyone else in the area)

how long between palm springs (where I will be in dec.) and Palomar climb?
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
hey kerry (or anyone else in the area)

how long between palm springs (where I will be in dec.) and Palomar climb?
2Hr. 21min.
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darn...that'd be a long ride ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

As someone from San Francisco who has spent much time in Monterey. I am sad to say that if you are looking for certified warm weather this time a year it is a safer bet to go south. Santa Barbra is beautiful, on the coast and the mountains are right there. Plus it is always warm there. That being said, if you dont mind the chance of cold, I have a love affair with monterey and or big sur. And plus the people in the northern part of our state are much nicer ;) (sorry guys had to put that in to avoid being killed by the other nor cal people on the forum for recomending a trip south)

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [DanTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, the ST community rises to the challenge again. I must say you guys are incredibly helpfull and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for the heads up on the weather issue up that way. I was kind of thinking that, but the GF was saying it would be nice, and no point arguing with her. :)

When you say cold, what temps are you talking? Up here in Canada I'll be coming from 10-20F, very cold, very snowy, so 65F would be a treat. The only thing that scares me is the rain part. I really want dry. Did Alpe d'Huez last year in the rain and snow, and the descent was a bitch to say the least. I thought I was going to die of hyporthemia or just stop feeling the brake levers and fly through a switchback.

Santa Barbara is looking better, and we'll have a rental car so we can drive up the coast to Big Sur if the weather looks good.

I'll check out the link one of you sent me and see what's up.

btw, who's up for playing tour guide on a ride or two if we end up in the S.B area in February. Probably around the 16th will be our arrival day. Let me know, and thanks again.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]When you say cold, what temps are you talking? Up here in Canada I'll be coming from 10-20F, very cold, very snowy, so 65F would be a treat. The only thing that scares me is the rain part. I really want dry.[/reply]

In San Luis Obispo it could be 50F unless you went really early in the morning where you would have mid-forties, but mostly in the 50s on a cold day. My ride yesterday was in the low 50s, raining with a nasty crosswind. We were commenting that it was our first "cold" ride of the season. We were soaking wet and cold, but still rode for 50 miles and had a good time. But then, today is sunny and in the high 60s. Beautiful.

February_is_ in the middle of our rainy season, but we do not often have storms that last for days.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Las Vegas? We are in the middle of the Mojave desert, so very little rain. In Feb., it's cool but not cold, coming from Canada, you'd probably thnk it tropical.

There are a lot of training options within a 50 mile radius of the city: For serious climbing, you've got Mt Charleston (12,000 peak); for rolling rides, you could hit Red Rock and Valley of Fire, which are both stunningly beautiful.

With a cool water wet suit, you can swim in Lake Mead and Lake Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Municipal pool is nice for indoor swimming (and there are a bunch of other indoor pools).

Running in the city isnt that great. But, again, lots of options if you plan accordingly. you could plan your trainning to see a different part of the valley each day, and go away blown away with how beautiful southern nevada can be.

Plus, its Vegas. Plenty of very nice places to stay, and lots to do away from training.

Just a thought. I'd be leary of NorCal that time of year. Lots of rain and pretty chilly.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun trip.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely cannot count on good weather in NorCal. It could be clear as can be and 55-65F (like today). It could also rain for 10 days s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t. We had a stretch last year that seemed more like about 15 out of 20 days were near-constant rain.

Sta Barbara ain't exactly the desert either. While not quite as rainy/cold, it's along the coast and damp, damp, damp. You may be used to 10-20F, but 50F and damp feels a lot chillier than you think. A friend visiting from Chicago once noted how cold it was here (SF area)... it was 50F!

I would look into Palm Springs?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got back from OC and what a bunch of whiney babies! :) I was out there from Maryland, and guys were complaining of 60 degree days being cold, and they were sporting full leg warmers, coats, and booties. I showed up to the swami ride in shorts. It has been into the 20s already in MD, so even 50 felt like a heat wave.

I gotta move to Cali. The weather in SoCal is like nowhere else in the world. Plus the beach is right there, great if you like to surf. Mountains to climb, beaches to surn in or ride next to...the only downside I could see is the high price of gas.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not a cali native, but I just resturned from Santa Barbara.....while heading to Valencia in a car I took the 150 just south of Santa Barbara (near Summerland??), which seemed like the the type of ride you are looking for, plus lots of other options in the area.... saw numeous riders on that road and I was thinking, I wish I had something like this to ride where i live...

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: a little more help from those in Cali please [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
<<snip>>

I gotta move to Cali. The weather in SoCal is like nowhere else in the world. Plus the beach is right there, great if you like to surf. Mountains to climb, beaches to surn in or ride next to...the only downside I could see is the high price of gas.

tommy ... and the price of real estate. $1 million buys you a very plain plywood-sided 2000 sq ft ranch home in my area.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I am in agreement with the folks in N. California that Feb is not the best time of year to be there. Indeed, warmer than Southern Ontario and no snow, but certainly not the most pleasent weather. I have been in San Francisco in Feb and March and I would have to agree with the local posters comments. That being said, there could be an up side as you can have the run of any of the outstanding wineries in Napa and Sonoma as this is their low season and there are some great deals on B & B's at that time of the year.

Your better bet is somewhere further south if it is nicer weather you are looking for.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply