Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will Any Old Jockey Wheel Do?
Quote | Reply
Mine are making a bit of noise, look pretty worn down, and have about 15,000 miles on them. They are pretty cheap so I'd like to replace them and only know I need a 9 speed Shimano compatible set. Does anybody here discriminate between jockey wheels? I noticed some have stainless bearings, and I occasionally ride in the rain, so that sounds like the way to go. Thoughts?

Last edited by: Androgynotopia: Nov 27, 04 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Will Any Old Jockey Wheel Do? [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record10Ti will be chiming in shortly to berate you for using ShimaNo. Just FYI : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd replace them with whatever came with the derailleur. The performance of the other aftermarket pulleys is seldom as good.

TACX pulleys however do seem to be adequate, but I'd still go to the OE ones.

-sd

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree with superdave. stick with the stock shimano pulleys. the aftermarket pulleys will detract from shifting performance. the topmost pulley has a little side-to-side play built into it; the lower pulley does not. make sure you get the right pulley in the right place.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Any Old Jockey Wheel Do? [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Dave, if you must deal with the ShimaNO shifting you should use the OEM pullies, never had anything but issues with after market stuff...back in the sand box days when I was on Dura Ace I rememberbuying SRP Ti bolts and Carmichael pullies, then nothing worked as well as it did with OEM.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Any Old Jockey Wheel Do? [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I havn't seen "SRP" since putting new studs in the 406 in my 68 Camaro about 6-7 years ago. What a trip. If you've got time for a short tutorial as to the advantages of Campy, why not enlighten me? I ride in the mountains and am shifting alot, so I can/would appreciate nice clean shifts without having to fuss around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you get replacement Dura-Ace pulleys, TACX are great pulleys--light, very smooth, and have fully sealed ball bearings. I have used them for years--my shifting is perfect. All the Shimano pulleys that I have seen (except Dura Ace) use at least one pulley with a bushing--these have far more mechanical resistance than sealed ball bearings.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Any Old Jockey Wheel Do? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am probably wrong but I think I recall that the bushing pullies have less resistance than the bearing style, thus Campy uses bushing style as opposed to cart. bearings I think DA uses ceramic bushings if I recall correctly.

As far as why is Campy better than ShimaNO? Cause I am a dogmatic zelot. If you have bar ends there is really no diffrence, if you have shift / brake levers, hands down for many reasons Campy has an advantage.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Any Old Jockey Wheel Do? [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless my hands fool me, the difference between ball bearings and bushings is very noticable--the sealed cartridge ball bearing jockey wheels win hands down.

8 spd DA used bushings, with the upper wheel a ceramic bushing. 9 and 10 spd DA uses sealed ball bearing pulleys upper and lower.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply