Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How I'm spending thanksgiving weekend, UM day 1
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Here's a brief update from the first day of the 2004 Ultraman on the big island of Hawaii. I'm here to support fellow wiking Jonas Colting who is doing his first attempt at UM.

Ultraman is a 3 day race taking place (almost) every year on thanksgiving weekend since 20 years back. The first day is a 10km swim + 150km on the bike. Day 2 is 280km on the bike and day 3 is a double marathon.

Jonas is taking this mighty seriously after spending the last month training hard in the dark and bister nordic landscape. A testament to that was when he woke me up @ 6AM the morning after our flights from Sweden to drive the entire UM course. Scouting the route for this race isn't exactly the same as checking out the course for your local sprint triathlon as this race take you around the whole island with a total lenght of more than 500km. This took us about as long as our flight from europe to LA..

As I write this the first day is finished for Jonas and he did a stellar job today by first breaking the 10km swim course record by 6 seconds in 2h 14min 43sec. He was close to missing this however as he was too busy making victory salutes waving and smiling to the crowd before he decided to make his way out of the water. After this he rode like Jan Ullrich and extended his lead to about an hour after the 150km bike ride.

We are now looking forward to day two that consist of 280km of bike riding from the volcano to Hawii going over the Kohalas(sp?). Hopefully I can check back here tomorrow to keep anyone interested posted.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: How I'm spending thanksgiving weekend, UM day 1 [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun. Thanks for the update. Go Jonas!!!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the race report bjorn, i have read several accounts of this race and find it interesting.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I am sure we will all be thinking of yall tomorrow. Please pass along good lucks and keep us updated. Crewing for an ultra like that sounds like a blast. Have fun....

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bjorn, glad to see that you are out there doing crew for Jonas. Pass on my best to all the ultraman folks, and give my old Canadian military buddies Tony O'keeffe and Marty Raymond a kick in the ass for not keeping up with Team Sweden :-). Seriously, all these ultraman folks are amazing. I can't imagine heading from Canada or Sweden to do this race. I froze my ass off riding my MTB to work in minus 6 degree temp and I was only out for 15 min !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. We won't get this kind of coverae anywhere else.

Quote:

he rode like Jan Ullrich
You mean he lost to Lance Armstrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bjorn, David Hinds who is doing crew for Lon is sending some of us live updates from his Blackberry from the big Island. Sounds like on Day 2, Jonas is putting down the hammer starting at mile 80 on the "group"

Dev
Quote Reply