Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

favorite pedals?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to buy some new pedals. I have been using
Look's. I like my old Sampson Stratics better though I can no longer get cleats for them. I'm considering Speedplay's. Also, does anyone list pedal weight including cleats??? Any opinions welcomed.
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, like everyone else, have no frickin comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you like the Sampsons???!!! i thought those were perhaps the worst pedals ever made!!!! ; )

i currently ride Speedplay X-2 pedals. I've had them for years with thousands of miles. they've worked fine with no mechanical or durability issues.

that said, i think some of the new pedals are superior performance-wise to speedplay. particularly, i like the shimano spd-sl and time rxs.

my wife has had the spd-sl dura ace pedal on her bike for over a year, and they've been great. she likes them a lot, better than the looks they replaced.

when my speedplays retire from old age (pretty soon, i think, they are beginning to show the miles), i'm going to replace with the time or shimano. havent decided which yet.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input. Why didn't you like the Sampsons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After using Look pedals for last 7 years I switched to Shimano Ultegra (R600 SPD-SL). I picked them up for around $90 new on e-bay. I like them alot after previously using Look PP206, A 3.1, PP396, and A 5.1 pedals. I had a bad experience with the A 5.1s that prompted my switch to Shimano. I haven't been disappointed and in fact phased out the Looks on my other bikes and now ride Shimano exclusively.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keywin. Best. Pedal. Ever.

http://www.keywin.com/

Search the forum for lots of posts on them.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano PD-7800 SPD-SL

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the speedplay X2's, and like them better than my old Looks. They are just great. I'm definately sticking with speedplay.

Anybody tried out the eggbeaters?
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend Coombes. I've had Shimano SPD, the newer Ultegras, and yes, Sampsons. And clips and straps too by the way. The Sampsons were junk. I appreciated the SPD for its ability to click in even caked in mud. The new Ultegras are the easiest to get in, but hard to get out and more finicky about cleat placement due to less float. And they are big and fugly. The Coombes are lighter, lower, and easier to get out of, along with a very secure (no side to side wobble) attachment to the shoe. No moving parts, no squeeks, nothing to wear out. They are rare, probably due to the fact you have to wait about 3 months for them to arrive and they are expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just switched this week to Bebops (bebop.com) after 10+ years on Looks. Simple design, dual-sided, spd, low stack height, light, metal cleat. Too early to give a an evaluation. From the research I've done getting the cleat married to the shoe is the key -- you can get this wrong. Bebop had an adaptor for my non-spd shoe that's worked like a champ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have older Time pedals on all my bikes.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low stack height?? That sounds like a feature I would be interested in. Do the manufacturers list this spec?? Do you know how this compares to others??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the website 210 grams/pair (cromoly); 195 grams/pair (stainless); 175 grams/pair (deluxe) weight--cleats 65 grams/pair weight--total 275 grams/pair (cromoly); 260 grams/pair (stainless); 240 grams/pair (deluxe) (the lightest steel-spindle pedals) spindles

heat treated cromoly steel; heat treated 17-4PH stainless; heat treated Aero-S steel

(the strongest) bearings needle, ball cartridge seals custom lip seal (no wimpy o-rings here) stack height 11mm float 20 degrees
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a pair of keywins today from nashbar. The ti pedals are on sale for $80. Ring them and use coupon code AFFDC to save another 10%. Online would not take the code.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto what Hid said. PD-7800 SPD-SL
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool - thanks for the tip. Just so you're aware though, those appear to be the older style non-CRM (no float) Keywins. At least that's what they look like from the picture. Still, a great price on NOS gear - especially if you're like me and run a fixed cleat position anyway.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ughhhh, I hope they are not fixed.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used X2 until this year...and used Look Cx6 for the season.

I'm now in the market for Zeros. Best of both worlds......
Quote Reply
Re: favorite pedals? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the old style Time pedals. They are on all my bikes.
Quote Reply