Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower - How does the camping work?
Quote | Reply
I am new to the CA tri scene and planning to sign up for Wildflower. How does the camping portion work? I see on their website that you can sign up when you register for the race -- is this a big rip-off, or advised? It looks like they have overflow camping available "so no one is turned away" but maybe that's too much of a hassle? Also it looks as though there may be different camping locations to choose from.

What do you Wildflower vets recommend? What considerations should I take into account? Thanks!

"At every endurance event, there comes a time when you'll say, 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' And you'll say, 'This is what I do.' "
- John Spas, as quoted in Bill McKibben's _Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously_
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower - How does the camping work? [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you know exactly when you are going, then do pre-pay. The lines really areñ-t much shorter, but it looks like it may be cheaper.

Places are first come, first serve. Many clubs go down on Thursday to secure a spot. TNT has a ªcompoundª that you want to stay far away from. You also don´t want to be down near the Cal Poly students as they party all weekend.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower - How does the camping work? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, ironclm! Do people usually arriver earlier than Friday? Is there any benefit other than extra time to learn the course and partake in the spirit of the event?

Also, is there any way to select an area where you're camping when registering? In other words, any way to be sure I avoid TNT/CalPoly? Or am I just reserving the right to have a spot within a certain area and when I get there I'll still have to get whatever I can find?

"At every endurance event, there comes a time when you'll say, 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' And you'll say, 'This is what I do.' "
- John Spas, as quoted in Bill McKibben's _Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously_
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with clm and add this. If you have an RV and want a hookup you need to be there by Wednesday morning. There is no reserving a spot unless you are connected (i.e. know a ranger, sponsor, ……). A lot of clubs get up there early and mark off areas. I usually get up there Thursday morning and can find a spot in a main campground (Redonda Vista or Harris) with no problem (no hookup though). My biggest word of advice is camp near a tree. The shade is invaluable when it gets nice and toasty in the afternoon. Bring lots of water.

Another thing is that you REALLY have to like outdoors, people, heat, bugs, dust, overpriced ice and walking up STEEP hills after a race when it is 100 degrees out. If you can get by this, you will have a great time. I really enjoy this race. My wife and kids have a blast all weekend and it is something we do every year. See you there.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower - How does the camping work? [woofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really more of a tent camper...no RV in my possession. Does anyone else camp in tents or only RVs?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more tenters then rv'ers. i get an rv because of the kids. when they get a little older (no naps, diapers, etc..) we will tent it.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arrive early. If you want a good spot, that means before Thursday. Be ready for tons of people. Enjoy being outside. Relax. Enjoy yourself.
Quote Reply