Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frank Day
Quote | Reply
can you please tell us how you heard about the first ironman, and why you decided to do it?

it seems to be a proposition that is light years away from today's ironman.

do you have a race report? and running up haleakala? you're sick man.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an original Ironman, Frank must draw great satisfaction from the 1000's around the world entered in these events. When they first tried the Ironman, it must have been like Mallory trying to scale Everest !
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the early ones but did do 1982. I think it was more like Beevis training Butthead to figure how much food to eat and how do you train for this thing. At least the Alpine climbers had a bit of an idea of how it was supposed to be done, wher as we had no outside help. We had a guy, swim 2.5mi in a pool, ride 115 mi then ran the Baton Rouge Marathon a month before the Feb 1982 Ironman. The Marathon started at 0700 so he rode all night with a flashlight to finish before the marathon start. Nice Brick buddy. It was comical some of the crazy ideas they had back G
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have posted this before many times at least in bits and pieces, so you can do a search OR you can wait, as all of us originals are currently writing a book with each of us having a chapter and telling our story. Hopefully all of us will participate. The first draft of my chapter is done but the editor has not gotten back to me to tell me how horrible my effort really was.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has the potential to be a fairly interesting read! Looking forward to it.

M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank, could you keep the board up to date on this project? It sounds svery interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Frank, could you keep the board up to date on this project? It sounds svery interesting.[/reply]

As things happen I will try to keep people informed.

We have been talking about such a thing since the 20th reunion. However, this last year someone with some book writing experience (Tom Knoll) decided to get serious about it and has taken getting this organized seriously.

One of the purposes is to set the record straight on a lot of things but it won't do this entirely as we are finding that different people have different recollections of the same event. So, we will all just tell our story and let the reader figure out what REALLY happened.

Each is going to be asked to give background on themselves, how they heard about it, why they decided to do it, how they did the race, etc. I think the goal is to have something out in about a year but there is some trouble contacting everyone so it is not clear when this will actually happen.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to read the book as the history of Ironman intrigues me and I'm a stickler for accuracy and responsible journalism.