Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would you do?
Quote | Reply
This might sound stupid, but anyway.

The tri club I am in has yearly awards. You can nominate yourself or others. I nominated a friend of mine for the most races raced. I wanted to be sure he was in the running. This was his first season and he signed up for 6 races and earned our club a lot of USAT club participation points.

Now thus far he has the most races raced, but I did 1 more race then him. We had essentially the same schedule but I did an IM too.

So now do I nominate myself? I don't want to steal his award, but I am vain enough to want the recognition. And what if I don't nominate myself and then someone else wins anyway. Should I really care?
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [Nice Guy Eddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silly Eddy...don't bother to try...nice guys always finish last
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, life's a bitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the "Most Races Raced Award" judged on an objective standard? How does the club find out how many races each member ran? If it is based on self-reporting why don't you nominate yourself for the "Most Miles Raced" award. Submit an overall mileage number without mentioning the number of races and then you can have your own spotlight without impinging on your friend's.

Personally, I would aim higher: self-nominate for "Athlete with nicest socks" award.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to say it Eddy but if I were in the running you'd be toast. Somehow managed to sneak in 21 tri/duathlons this season. Had to one up the 18 I did last year. A friend threw down the gauntlet on me for next year..figured between the two series I do it was possible (in theory) to do 30 throughout the season. Still thinking about it but it might be too much even for my sadomasochistic nature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want the recognition, I think it would be more interesting to yourself if someone else nominated you. Being nomiated and not knowing if you were the only one who voted for you would be pretty sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, this smacks of the "everybody's a winner" mentality that plagues our schools and youth sports. The idea that "everybody gets a prize", which you either got sucked into or believe in, is what caused your dilemma in the first place. To knowingly nominate someone for a prize that you know they don't deserve was ridiculous. Who could it possibly help? Suppose he got his hopes up and then discovered it was YOU who knowingly set him up for defeat?

First, second and third get a prize. Most improved maybe, too. But to get an award for showing up the most times, thats like getting a perfect attendance award in school, which they've done away with, since it makes the other kids feel bad.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sometimes political correctness suck arse...taking something away because 'others feel bad about not getting it too' is complete crap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get the "nomination" thing. First, why do you need to nominate someone for something that has an objective standard associated with it? Seems to me that you just add up the races. Second, why would you nominate someone for something that you know he doesn't deserve, because you know for a fact that you have one more race than he?

I am confused. I spend a lot of the day that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Somehow managed to sneak in 21 tri/duathlons this season."

That's amazing. You must have done one every weekend at virtually every location in Ontario.

IMO, that's the nice thing about sprints - they're plentiful, at least in Ontario. Lots to chose from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice guys always finish last

ah yes, a warning; live without warning, but i beg to differ; on the contrary; i agree with every word that you say; a victim of catch 22. Till then, move onwards towards a westbound sign, and if you win, well, well, i hope you had the time of your life.

As for niceguy eddy, you should change your name to douchebageddy, nominate yourself, and then hook/flick your freind in a croner at your next race. When he crashes, stand over him and say "no body fucks with rick james, bitch!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just let him win. Since Thanksgiving is over, it is Christmas time. The best gifts are those given not received.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eddy,

Funny, my tri club has those awards as well. They are, frankly, token awards on cheap pieces of paper, given out as nice "recognition". There are no real prizes attached to them, nor should they be taken as seriously as you seem to be taking them. If you want the freakin piece of paper, nominate yourself, but quite your whining, you arrogant ass! I have to agree with the other guy... Change you handle to douchbagEddy!

Yes, it does sound stupid; get over yourself!
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey CG that is totally what happened..ten races per series/two series and added in one private race that is on my fave list...did them all and it cost about $600CAN for entry fees...won a couple of prizes throughout the season (including a pair of Rudy Project Ekynox sunglasses) but the icing on the cake came at the season ending draw prizes..the new Timex system (which I was able to swap out for the Polar 625X..nothing against timex but I have a very convincing friend who is the Polar rep and he talked me into it). All in all...they paid me to race this season. It's stuff like this that gets me coming out to races hours earlier than I need to be to help the RD and crew get set up (that and the whole body marking fetish I have).
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't get the "nomination" thing. First, why do you need to nominate someone for something that has an objective standard associated with it? Seems to me that you just add up the races. Second, why would you nominate someone for something that you know he doesn't deserve, because you know for a fact that you have one more race than he?

I am confused. I spend a lot of the day that way.

Nominate me for the "I don't get it either" award.

How do you nominate someone for an "objective" award? You either did more races or you didn't. I can understand nominating for things that are subjective... like who's got the best hair... coolest tan lines, etc... but not the most races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have let the other guy have it. It's called a "nomination" award. Who nominates themself other than Alex P. Keaton types? This sport is for yourself. If you need awards (such as these SMALL awards), I question your integrity and morals. I can understand questioning an award where two people finish neck to neck in a race...but a "nomination award"? C'mon. Grow up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vote for me i did 6. sure galena was cancelled but I still did it. nominate yourself, not like your stealing a Oscar or an Espy.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a strange award. Our club just has "member of the year". It usually has more to do with how helps with club functions than racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
21 races only! Dessie McHenry who is a legend in Irish Tri circles (IM Hawaii twice, multipe world and euro medals) races somewhere between fifty and sixty races a year - road, cross-country, fell races, bike TT, duathlon, triathlon, track, marathon - you name it he races it, he toes the line for it. Now this is not a low standard, we are talking a 58 year old guy who runs <35 10K, <2.55 marathon (50 of them no less) and can crank out an hour for 40k bikes.

This year he is adding in L'Etape du Tour (he spends July in France where he can get in enough races - well I theory it is a holiday but I suspect that the French calendar just has additional tris!) to the mix. I know he is not eligible for the award but just thought I would share (Oh and he was race director for the Portaferry Triathlon in early 90's when the likes of Karen Smyers graces Strangford Lough)

"That which we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly "Thomas Paine
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [superchick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Alex P. Keaton "

I nominate you for being stuck in 1985.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply