Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS product comparisons?!
Quote | Reply
I want to get my dad a GPS unit for Christmas...what are people's thoughts on TIMEX vs. the FORERUNNER?!?!?! :-D
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my forerunner a lot more than my timex, but, the rumor is that the new forerunner will have HR - this is what I would wait for.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard rumors about the Forerunner HR as well but it won't be out before Xmas. If you need to get a device today as a gift for the holidays, I'd get the Forerunner 201 over the Timex Bodylink. More usable, better accuracy, and less components -- plus MotionBased supports the Forerunner. Here's a good breakdown of the better Garmin GPS products:

http://www.motionbased.com/...info.gps.recommended
Last edited by: clarque: Nov 26, 04 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [clarque] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used the Foretrex?.....I'd think that witht the regular GPS capabilities, this would be ideal, 2 for 1 so to speak.

Never mind...I see it doesn't have all of the features of the forerunner.

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Last edited by: GatorDawg: Nov 26, 04 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [clarque] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The forerunner looks so large and cumbersome for your wrist, no?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The forerunner looks so large and cumbersome for your wrist, no?!?

Hey, if it's good enough and compact enough for God, who has small wrists for a man, it should be fine for you. Garmin is doing what they can to get the device smaller of course, as that must be a common gripe, actually I know it is since I know all men's thoughts
Quote Reply
Are you trail running [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hearing/reading from people who go trail running that they lose the GPS signal and it becomes useless
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic. However, why do you assume God is a man. Why you assume that God is either a man or a woman? Maybe God is androbotopeia,--whatever--like you. Why does God appear to shave his arms and hands? Maybe God is a male but wishes he was a female? Also good to see God has his 10K's down to 1:40:10:66

Now, there is some s__t for you to ponder, my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my Forerunner 201 for Christmas last year and I love it! I run in hilly terrain with trees over hanging the road in places and have had no problems with the signal. It has on rare occasion beeped out while under heavy trees for a long time but it starts working again when I get in the clear. I've found the distance measurements to be very accurate checking the unit against known distances like section markers on country roads.

I've found the batteries to be excellent. The unit clips into a small charger and goes 13 hours from a full charge.

I think the size is a function of the antenna needed for the GPS. Smaller would be nice but it's really not too bad or uncomfortable. I'm pretty big but I've seen several women running with them lately.

Overall I'm really pleased and would get one again. I can ad-lib running routes and not cheat on the distance and it's fun to scroll back through the work outs.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [paul k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've found the distance measurements to be very accurate checking the unit against known distances like section markers on country roads.
BUT--how is the "current pace" function? Not average over the mile, but real-time.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk,

I find the pace function useful. There is a bit of lag when changing speed but it's way less than a mile, more like a few hundred feet till it figures out how fast I'm going. After that little lag, I think the pace reading is again pretty accurate. There is a choice of smoothing settings that affects the lag. I tried the different settings initially but have had it on the medium setting for a long time and it works fine.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Classic. However, why do you assume God is a man. Why you assume that God is either a man or a woman? Maybe God is androbotopeia,--whatever--like you. Why does God appear to shave his arms and hands? Maybe God is a male but wishes he was a female? Also good to see God has his 10K's down to 1:40:10:66

Now, there is some s__t for you to ponder, my friend.

God is a man because the Goddess is a woman, duh! God appears to shave his arms and hands because He just started swimming recently and He is one with the element of water by doing such. God is a male that wishes to realize His latent feminine sensory capacities, so you kind of had that one right. God did Palomar yesterday and that's what it took for the descent and ascent, though his 10K probably isn't far off 1:40:10.66 right now with a fractured foot.

Aside from that non-sense, I think the original posters dad would dig the thing, and if not it could be sold on E-Bay for nearly $100, recouping about 80% or so of the going "New:Buy It Now" E-bay price.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS product comparisons?! [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your help! I think I'm sold on the Forerunner! And I should add I have a timex myself, but never wear it, 'cause I'm not really into all the techno, gadget stuff, but I think my pops will dig it! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using both the Timex S+D and BodyLink since they first came out... the BodyLink system had a rocky start with regard to quality control of it's product (plus a major shortage of supply)... but, besides that... both products have proven to be excellent training tools and have a high degree of accuracy... I've used them in many different types of envirnoments (trail running, city running, canyon running, and exceptionally flat and clear terrain). I've have had good results in all environment... with some problems with rain/heavy fog and city running combination OR heavy tree coverage in combination with steep hills/canyons).

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply