Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Get that girl a bike [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cannondale had a few people on the pink custom-painted Ironman 6000s - including Sarah, Lokelani McMicheal and Tracey Richardson (who posts here...) Good of them to do, and smart from a marketing perspective to boot.

I thought it was just a freaky coincidence that two of NBC's "features" would ride the same pink bike.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy crap that climb does look brutal, especially with one leg, I can't imagine how hard it must've been for her...
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bachelor guy was also on a Cannondale (black with blue flames). The pink Cannondales were different though, one had aero tubing while the other had round.
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< a lot of bike companies could have stepped up to the plate that were in kona (includiing ABG i presume) but they didn't. sure it doesn't hurt cannondale's image but they didn't have to do it. and nobody else did.

not entirely true. As usual people make assumptions without really knowing what is actually going on. Because Sarah was going to be featured on the telecast and because Cannondale is the official Ironman licensee, she was told she had to be on a Cannondale, or not be featured. This whole story is kind of like an iceberg, just a little bit showing on the surface and a lot more beneath it.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [Mad Max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

De-lurking for a moment. As the Events and Donor Relations Manager for the Challenged Athletes Foundation, I'd like to thank you guys for the bit of PR this thread has given us. We have supported Sarah Reinertsen in 2004 and other years, as well as many other athletes in her position or similar. It's true that the adaptive equipment needed for these athletes is very expensive, and we can sometimes fund a small part of a prosthetic, a handcylce or training expenses. I certainly wish we had gobs of money, but the truth is every year we must turn away many deserving athletes because of lack of funds. Our Foundation has experienced tremendous growth, making us visible to challenged athletes worldwide as a source of funding. Each and every donation is much appreciated, and 80% of all income goes directly toward the athletes.

Sarah's attempt at Ironman has inspired many female challenged athletes to go beyond their bodies and fulfill their dreams. Soon every Ironman will have above knee female amputees dotting the field!

Emily Constantini, also Mike Plumb's GF
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [trichickie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Emily Constantini, also Mike Plumb's GF

you wanna talk about a hottie. blonde hair, blue eyes, svelte body, ironman triathlete. it does't get much bettter than this :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my, where is the post, enough with the fantasizing.
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [MHCoburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll have to go find it yourself, it's in this thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_string;#139069

post #101

Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [trichickie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you going to do another fund raising race this year on the island?

Dirtball aka Thom
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom,

I'll answer for Em since you is on vacation now and I don't let her use my PC much ;-)

If you mean this year, as in what's left of 2004, no, there isn't any more events planned. But for 2005 they will once again stage Ironman Revisited on the island of Oahu in August. Are you thinking about going?

Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale sponsored three "charity" athletes at Ironman this year. We were each given pink custom painted, Hawaiian themed Ironman bikes to race with.

Not sure how the other two girls found their bikes but mine was AMAZING!

You can read about Cannondales support of their "Charity Girls"us here.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/bikeword/add_news_248.html

Tracey Richardson - cure4cf.com
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [ironmancf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey tracey,

just watched the kona race again this morning while on my trainer and again, your story brought me to tears. just wanted to share with you how much of an inspiration you are to us triathletes and parents. your kids are very lucky to have you. i wish you and your family the best of luck. our prayers are with you.

justin
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe my perspective is out of whack but here's what I see:

1. athlete qualifies for the Ironman World Championship Race in Hawaii on a bike (awesome for her)

2. athlete races on different bike at Kona in order to have her story featured on the network broadcast. Potentially getting additional publicity for groups that sponsor her (CAF) and other athletes like her (awesome for her and them)

3. athlete misses bike cutoff riding a different bike than she qualified on (bad for Cannondale).

It's not as if she was already riding a beater (IT WAS A QR TEQUILO!). She didn't need the Cannondale bike to race her best. Hey, I think it's great when people help other people; but how many of you would jump on a new bike for the biggest race of your season? The publicity for challenged athletes all over is great. This seems like a black eye for Cannondale.
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [fifth string] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fifth string - I have to disagree with that. You're assuming that the bike made her not make the cutoff. That's a big leap.

Tracey - thanks for the link and congratulations to you too! Very inspiring story. I was crying through it all. Best wishes to you and your family.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [fifth string] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Under your scenario it would give cannondale a black eye. However, if she had to qualify it was at a half not a full. Also IMH is a tough bike course. Finally, how many people know which bike she road to qualify vs IMH. Its hardly going to cost Cannondale many sales.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She rode the QR at Buffalo Springs-see earlier post with a link to the photos.

I don't think that it will cost Cannondale any sales, if anything it will help.

My point was that if the goal is to finish the race, why switch gear mid season. Maybe she didn't like the set-up she had? Maybe the Cannondale was better for her? Who knows, but Mike's post earlier implied that in order to be featured on the broadcast, she needed to be on a Cannondale. Having to ride a different bike just to be on the broadcast sucks, and thats what irked me about the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Get that girl a bike [ironmancf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to add my congratulations to you too for all your accomplishments, I'm nowhere near the level of doing an ironman and to be able to juggle your family and training is absolutely inspiring! You're amazing!
Quote Reply

Prev Next