Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sarah Reinertsen
Quote | Reply
Man, she is awesome. So much drive. I knew she was attempting IMH so I tracked her number on Ironmanlive after the race was over and found out she didn't finish and was kind of sad to hear. BUT after seeing her on the NBC coverage in tears after coming in after the bike cutoff, I started balling too. I know that she will finish IMH one day, probably next year, but it definitely was inspiring watching her attempt IMH this year.

After seeing the broadcast, it kind of made me want to attempt Hawaii too, but I'm SOOOOO far from qualifying, it seems inhuman for me, especially considering my finishing time at IMF this year.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Yeah, Sara was the only worth while part of a truely pathetic show. I met her a few years ago at a race on Long Island. They should have showed more of her race and left out the soccer tears. She is just like the rest of us only I think a little tougher. I really couldn't take it yesterday. I've defended NBC's show in the past but now it's gotten rediculous. What is it a freak show, a death march? No! It's a World Championship race! They don't do that to the Tour or NYC marathon. They don't do it to the Superbowl, the World Series!. They could show those guys as skinny, lonely teenagers before they found steroids. Just show the damn race, the racers. The best part of the show has always been the last 15 minutes when they show the people finishing, but this year they had to have that woman with her two kids stopping at the finish line for more hugs an kisses blocking the finish line so some people couldn't cross. It was awefull.

Sorry if I'm ranting and yes, Sara was AWESOME!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Putting the debate over NBC's coverage aside -- I didn't think it was that bad -- I really hope that Sarah one day does Ironman again and goes all the way. She seems like someone you really want to root for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is her website that she advertised on her shorts?????

Heavy D

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamsarah.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarah rocked. We folks with 2 legs banging out Ironmans like it is no big deal have no clue how great we have it. She was awesome. I really hope she gets a nice day next time she is at Kona. I thought PC biking was hard, but Sarah spins out 180K with essentially one leg pedalling. Totally awesome....and yes, when she did not make the bike cutoff, I too allowed myself to choke up and get teary eyed.

Congrats to Sarah either way. Many of the kids that I coach at soccer of XC skiing need to see what she is doing to understand the value of hard work !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also thought that Sarah was the highlight of the show. I knew all the details, some from her personally, some from friends and co-workers who were with her during the last bit of the bike, but I still had trouble watching her emotions when her bib got pulled at T2. I've never once seen her without a huge smile plastered on her face, she is a huge positive force of energy and she clearly loves the life she has created for herself. I suspect her experience this year will only make her eventual finish that much more meaningful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more...

Maybe I missed it - but I'm waiting for all the haters (Greg, where are you?) to jump in and say what a waste of time those stories are.

Stories like that - make triathlon, especially Ironman, so cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met Sarah at the Challenged Athletes Half IM in La Jolla a few weeks ago. She was awarded CAF's "Most Inspirational Athlete" award for 2004. See:

http://www.challengedathletes.org/caf/template.asp?ID=145

Frankly, I loved the Kona broadcast. Let's face it, I know how all the pros did already. I can only watch so much footage of people running and riding in a straight line. I learned about regular people and the things they do to get there. Sarah. Tracey Richardson. Damn, Tracey's story had real honest-to-god tears running down my face (and my wife's).

At CAF, I also got to meet Dick Hoyt and got my picture taken with him and tell him in person how much I admire him and his devotion to his child. My two sons were in awe of him after seeing him tow Ricky around the swim course in that raft.

And, FWIW, Ryan Sutter was also at the CAF Half. By all accounts, he was gracious and kind to everybody he came across. And -- the boy can ride. He went blowing by a group of us riding together and somebody mentioned it was him. We all picked it up a little to go with him. I dropped back quickly because he was hammering far harder than I could go. This was only two weeks after Kona.

(Also at CAF -- Peter Reid and Lori Bowden, although not in the same vicinity. Lori wasn't on the bill, but I saw her in transition. By the time I found a marker, the race was starting and I never got her to sign my visor.)

I have never been happier with a race that at CAF. This is the must-do-event on my calendar from now until I can't do triathlon anymore. I sat through the challenged athlete introductions before the race. Let me tell you -- it makes you forget all about your little limitations and obstacles when you see a parade of dozens of people who overcome such astonishing obstacles. A guy who was hit by a train and lost both legs and one arm did the SWIM! On the return leg of the run, I ran by a guy who can move but one hand. He did the full half marathon course, alone, in an ordinary electric wheelchair. A woman with a painful, debilitating nerve disease did the very hilly half marathon. In nine hours. How many of us would keep going in a half marathon for nine hours?

Cancer survivor/amputees. Accident victims. Every imaginable way to lose a limb or the ability to walk were represented out there. We think we suffer in a race? Come do CAF next year. Raise some money for a great cause and learn something new.
Last edited by: Ashburn: Nov 21, 04 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She also belongs in the hottie thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She also belongs in the hottie thread!
Agreed--super fit and pretty. Do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to disappoint. I enjoyed her story.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a good broadcast.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time they showed her on NBC I thought the same thing.

Dude, she is in the cover of the latest Runners World and she has a rock hard body.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Reinertsen [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For another great challenged athlete story go to:

http://www.onemansleg.com/
Quote Reply