Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am an American [freo73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but did Frankie go shirtless in the 4th quarter and get himself into a drunken stupor rooting for UTEP (he lives in Texas)?

We need to get him to a basketball game, too. And quickly. I suggest my former hometown Detroit Pistons. It will certainly further confirm every notion he has of our warlike tendencies ;-)) After all, we have a holiday in Detroit on the night before Halloween called "Devils Night", where we try to set fire to as many houses and garages as we can.

Gotta love us. We know how to combine a game consisting of bouncing a leather covered ball and W.W.E.-style throwdowns. Hey....."The Throwdown In Motown"!
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you must get a six pack of budweiser cans

consume five of the six cans over a period of about an hour

you must then drink the sixth and final can as fast as you can in one swigging

The moment said brewskie is finished, you must crush the can against your forehead

The moment said can is crushed you must raise the can bearing hand towards the skies.

In your deapest, toughest voice, you must growl out "AMERICA"

With the completion of the final syllable, you must throw the can against the closest wall like you own the place.

Congratulations. You are now an American. Send me some money and i'll mail you the proper papers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only been to one High School football game in my life. It was pretty fun. Those kids beat the snot out of each other.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an odd game - American football. Obviously, huge in the US, but strangely elsewhere in the world has next to no participation or following. I often wonder why that is or what that says?

In Canada we have play American Football to, but with a few rule changes that really open the game up and in my mind, and the minds of others make it more exciting. The chief one being you only have three downs to make it 10 yards - that really puts the pressure on the offense to make BIG plays and the premium on passing.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grass is surprisingly nutritious! But we can buy fish at the Fishmongers or market here, so sorry to here you have to catch your own to be able to enjoy the taste ;-)

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Washington/Baltimore area, unless the "Can't remember" teams were all from the same "can't remember" city!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree that baseball is not perfect (but nearly) there is no way any thinking person could put up cricket as a better game or a better way of deciding who is the better team or what ever you want to call it.

Even PAINT DRY's in less than 5 days!

There are certainly skills displayed by cricket players but there just doesn't seem to be a reason for ever starting the game! Just because baseball has a few flaws doesn't make criket better. It's like Christians poking holes the the theory of evolution and then saying something like "Therefore god exists"

Cricket is a waste of perfectly good TV airtime. Hell, I prefer to watch swamp buggy racing over cricket!

Oh yeah, I was brought up on cricket as a kid, here in Godzone, but learned very quickly after moving to Canada, that baseball was miles ahead in terms of a game, entertainment, sport etc etc. Now I'm back in NZ I can't understand why cricket is played at all.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, you were brought up in Godzone were you? Exactly which part of England? If you re-read my post you will find nothing scathing or impolite/opinionated about someones' sport/culture except as a reposte. Perhaps you might consider that as you re-read your judgemental post again ;-)

Just because baseball has a few flaws doesn't make criket better. Or vicea versa.

Cricket is a waste of perfectly good TV airtime. Hell, I prefer to watch swamp buggy racing over cricket! Why doesn't that surprise me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duuuuuuuude,

Chill out man. I'm just having a bit of a wind up. No animosity here.

OK. Godzone? We have a few Pommes here in our office an all of them agree that England is NOT Godzone. NZ is.

Scathing? Nah, I didn't MEAN to be scathing, just some good natured ribbing. Your response does reinforce my opinion that Pommes are a rather humourless bunch (Monty Python being the exceptionthat proves the rule)

Baseball flaws? By that I meant that baseball is not perfect and has some flaw. However, cricket has many more flaws IMHO and this is part of my way of deciding which is better.

As for me being judgemental I will have to agree. The only time I jump, is to conclusions. :-) I judge things for myself, ergo I am judgemental. Most people I have come across deny they are judgemental when in fact we all judge things every day based on the available information.

Swamp buggy racing? Oh man, I'm no sister kissin' redneck, but watching swampbuggy racing once a year is just plain great entertainment. YOu get to look at the apogee of of the effects of inbreeding in a completely harmless pursuit. I mean, toothless hillbillies putting huge NASCAR type engines in flimsy racing machines and racing them through the swamp? Wot's not to like. Beats the English versions (Caravan and/or lawnmower racing) hands down.

BTW, "that which does not kill us only makes us stronger"? Nah, just causes dibilitating injuries that cripple us in old age :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [freo73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Kiwi's did a bit of that at the Gabba over the weekend.......:)
Well, if it was a choice between eating grass and being lectured by Aussies on the virtues of fair play (come in, Gillie), I would take the turf any day...

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word....IRONY

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irony? My wife does all the ironing. In exchange, I get her rum n' cokes whenever she asks.

She also does the windows, but don't tell Bill Gates

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baseball sux. and so does cricket. in general.
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J Son........

You said it man ...I didnt want to burst Francois' bubble and tell him SMU vs UTEP wasn't 'really' football. OU v. UT you said it..saw my 15-16th OU texas game this october...

30 yrs of OU games under my belt...heading to KC for the BIg 12 ,,then on to Miami baby....I feel a bit sorry for Auburn though...all we need is one extra game..and USC, OU, Auburn AND Cal could fight it out.

Boomer SOONER baby

schumacher 1 aka soonermagic

HeY Francois....If you move to Dallas maybe you could come up to Norman next year for a game ..85 ,000 crazies (not *****ing Hillbillies like B Callahan said while leaving the field after his gutless team gave up), we could ride the Rotors from my house down to the game..a nice 60 miler for warm up before :)
Quote Reply
Re: I am an American [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
rugby is pretty cool too.

My older son's team is playing in the state tournament semifinals this coming weekend. Both of our sons play rugby in the spring. I actually cringe less watching them play rugby than football. I just laugh watching them play rugby because it's everything we've yelled at them to stop doing to each other EVERY night for 16+ years, with a ball.

Prev Next