Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

why doesn't the usat???
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't USAT have a nationwide race series with a national championship??? NON DRAFTING,,,(of course). They have the money. They "donate" money to support our draft legal olympians.

A series like that could be high profile and bring in some serious sponsors. (Anyone remember the Bud Light USTS series?)

Are there any visionaries on the board?

Would it take too much work?? Are they too busy?? Doing what??

How about polling it's members to see what they would like?
Quote Reply
Re: why doesn't the usat??? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say the reason is b/c USAT is a NGB not a RD. To put on a series would require them to hire a staff just to secure permits, find venues, secure sponsorship and do the other thousand things that go to putting on a race. USAT doesn't put on any races, even the Championships. Other race production companies do and sanction through USAT.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: why doesn't the usat??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a national USAT race series?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying they don't have the money to hire the people to do the job?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a minute, DD. The USAT does not organize the AG Championship or other National races, now. The put out a RFP and individual race directors do their proposals. Last year, the winner was PEM USA and David Laningham in Lousiana. I am going to propose we do this on a regional basis in the SouthMid-west region. If we can designate four or five races as qualifiers and have the regional champions crowned as real regional champions, I think we would have more important and meaningful races.
Take it a step farther and have the tops, say top 5 or 10, in the regional championships move on to the national championship would make for a true national champion.

My .02 worth.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, the old Bud Light USTS series. I still have medals and t-shirts from some of those races.

Anyone wanting a bit of history, here's Dan's article on that race series.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/features/series.html

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: why doesn't the usat??? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying that USAT doesn't have the money, I'm saying it's not in the scope of what they do. USAT is like a cop, patrolling the tri world looking for things that have gone wrong, doing the wrong isn't what they do.( I realize one can argue that they do do wrong, but lets not go there in thread)

Sig, I'm familiar w/ the RFP process. I never implied that USAT organizes races. I think your proposal is a great idea, I know I would toe the line at a regional championship. But you only have the top 5-10% of all triathletes heading to a race to crown the national champion. Is it fair to the rest of triathletes who, have a worse chance of placing than a snowball has of surviving in AZ in the summer, not too be able to toe the line against a top notch field just to see where they stand nationally? Again, I like the idea but I think there are some/many on the BOD who will shoot it down. Maybe with the new incoming BOD after elections, chances may be better?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: why doesn't the usat??? [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen sig!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,,,have you been in the sun too long?

"I'm not saying that USAT doesn't have the money, I'm saying it's not in the scope of what they do. USAT is like a cop, patrolling the tri world looking for things that have gone wrong, doing the wrong isn't what they do.( I realize one can argue that they do do wrong, but lets not go there in thread)"

Thats quite a rich cop.

" I know I would toe the line at a regional championship. But you only have the top 5-10% of all triathletes heading to a race to crown the national champion. Is it fair to the rest of triathletes who, have a worse chance of placing than a snowball has of surviving in AZ in the summer, not too be able to toe the line against a top notch field just to see where they stand nationally?"

People love to be in a national championship race (and qualifiers)

whether they have a chance for placing or not.

Sounds like you are full of reasons it can't be done.

You aren't on the board are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 People love to be in a national championship race (and qualifiers)

whether they have a chance for placing or not.

I think that more or less what I said. But the BOD is going to ask is it fair to exclude for a national championship. Hey, I'm all for getting out there and having to put it on the line and finish X spot or higher to go to regionals then finish X spot or higher to go to Nationals. It would be just like when I qualified for Worlds.

I'm not on the BOD, I believe they are in meetings as we type.
If I run will you vote for me??

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A definite maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bingo. But USAT certainly has the capability to get the ball rolling. Anything structured as a National Championship would by default fall under USAT oversight.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply