Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recalled carbon forks: continue to use ?
Quote | Reply
Hi there

I have a question for Cervelo owners :
Is anybody outhere still riding the recalled Wolf fork without problems ?

I just found out last week that both my bikes, soloist and Superprodigy, are equipped with the recalled fork. When i bought them in january i asked the dealer, who then confirmed that the forks where ok and i should not worry. However it turned out it was the recalled version after all.

Now it does not look like i will get them changed anytime soon. So i am wondering whether i can keep riding, since they seem OK so far.

Logically the answer would be: "No". I do know that, but the idea of just parking both bikes for a long time is no so appealing either.

The reasoning would be that i have ridden about 9000km in total on the bikes. Approx 6500km on the Soloist including Ironman Lanzarote on rough roads and 1500km on the other one.

If anything was wrong with the forks, would it not have surfaced by now after riding so much on them ?
Quote Reply
Re: Recalled carbon forks: continue to use ? [Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like a troll... or a posting by a rival bike company...

but if not.. are you serious? why wouldn't you at least change out one of the forks? a recall on a crucial part such as a fork, stem, handlebar is pretty serious. swap it out man!
Quote Reply
Re: Recalled carbon forks: continue to use ? [garlicbreath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Mr. Breath

No, I am not a troll. Allthough i am Scandinavian and trolls originate from here i think.

Right now i cannot get i changed. Cervelo tells me to go to the Danish Distributor as they should change the forks for me, Cervelo cannot help directly. Well, i contact the company locally and the distrubutor tells me that they have never received any forks from Cervelo. Apparently they are in a dispute with Cervelo over the matter. Cervelo tells me they have supplied the forks to the distributor and in turn the distributor tells me that Cervelo has never send anything to them.

Either way i am screwed! Legally my claim is against the dealer who sold me the bikes according to European law. I have asked him off-course, but he cannot do much. Anyway he is a friend and trainingpartner and sueing him is not a very pleasant thought. (nor do i really have the capacity to do that anyway)

I will probably get them at some time, but such disputes can go on for ever. And i would like to ride once in a while in the meantime.
Last edited by: Viking: Nov 17, 04 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hee-

well, of course now that you explained a bit more, that is of course a bit more complicated than I thought.

I would think that your dealer would send the fork in to the address listed in the recall notice. I can't imagine the dealer would have to pay out of pocket for a recalled item. doesn't make sense.

sorry about the troll thing- funny retort though-

good luck-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viking,

I just can?t resist. Is 6,500 km + 1,500 km = 9,000 km Scandinavian math? In this country (USA) 6,500 km + 1,500 km = 8,000 km not 9,000 km.

On another note, since you have ridden the Soloist more than the SuperProdigy, why don?t you try leaning on your dealer/training partner a little and see if he will let you use a replacement fork on your Soloist while your Wolf forks are in ?transit?. Or perhaps this is your off season and you are planning on riding your SuperProdigy more now. Then replace the fork on the SuperProdigy for the mean time.

Now perhaps your dealer/training partner isn?t willing to let you use a replacement fork in the meantime, perhaps he would split it?s cost with you or, as a last resort, sell it to you at his cost.

Gerard Vrommen, one of the owners of Cervelo, posts here frequently under the screen name Gerard. Perhaps you can send him a PM (Personal Message) and explain your particular situation/dilemma and maybe he could personally help find a solution for your problem.

Ride safe and good luck. Don?t be foolish/desperate and trust a suspect fork that you have been warned about.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you send one back while riding the other on a trainer? Then send the other in and ride where-ever you'd like on the new fork.

Don't risk your neck...literally.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Recalled carbon forks: continue to use ? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I dont have anywhere to send them. Cervelo in Cananda does not want to deal with me directly and the local distributor claims he does not have replacement forks. So i dont really know what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesper,

PM Gerard!

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Recalled carbon forks: continue to use ? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and actually i dont have a trainer, Anymore....

I used to ride my trainer just after work in the winter. It was installed permanently in the loft above our apartment building. Really a great set-up and i rode it several times a week. Untill the woman who lived right below the "riding station" lost her job and suddenly was home one day during a work-out.

When i finished my ride and came down to our apartment again, my girlfriend was laughing and telling me about how our neighbor had been desperately running up and down the stairways, banging on every door and asking if anyone know what the h... was going on as the walls in her place was shaking and about to break down and what kind of washingmachine someone had started........., My girlfriend said that she "might" have an idea what was going on.

Since then, no trainer for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a Cervelo but have been witness to a faulty fork (on a certain carbon fork on a carbon frame). A buddie's stem broke right at the crown of the fork, just as we began a climb. With all of his weight forward (he was standing) and the momentum of a long hill we had just descended, he hit the pavement head-first at 20+ mph, skid for 15 feet on his face/shoulder/side, and then lay there unconscious as the rest of us split up to care for him, find help, etc. He's now fine, but having seen all this I would never, ever, ever, never ride on a fork that has been recalled. If you can't get the service you need from your shop or the manufacturer, it's worth your life to spend the money on a new fork. Forget about warranties or recalls.

Todd
Quote Reply
Re: Recalled carbon forks: continue to use ? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

PM Gerard!

Ben Cline

Tried that, didn´t work. (probably they got tired of my emails and think i am a pain)

by now)
Quote Reply