Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Michael Shermer of the Skeptic magazine.
Quote | Reply
Is Michael Shermer, the editor of Skeptic and the head of the Skeptics Society, the ultra-marathon cyclist of the same name from the mid to late 80s?

Just curious. If so, his current career would explain how he occupied his brain during those trans-continental bike rides.

Either way, I'm a fan of the magazine and a proponent of the skeptical worldview.

www.skeptic.com

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Michael Shermer of the Skeptic magazine. [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is Michael Shermer, the editor of Skeptic and the head of the Skeptics Society, the ultra-marathon cyclist of the same name from the mid to late 80s?

Yes, one and the same.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should read his book "Why People Believe Wierd Things" He talks about the "Alien Encounter" he had while suffering some medical problems during an ultra. Interesting stuff.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Michael Shermer of the Skeptic magazine. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You should read his book "Why People Believe Wierd Things" He talks about the "Alien Encounter" he had while suffering some medical problems during an ultra. Interesting stuff.

A friend of mine (who finished 10th in his one and only RAAM, and who knows Shermer), says that he fell asleep by the side of the road late in that RAAM. His support crew came upon him, and carried him into the van to sleep. He was convinced he was being carried into the Space Shuttle.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same guy. Good guy. Not the best writer (writing style is a bit fragmented) IMO, but good content in his books/articles (Scientific American, etc.).

Disclaimer: I'm a skeptic (non-theist, non-magical thinker, etc.).
Quote Reply