Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy chain compatability question
Quote | Reply
10sp record group, chain had C10 visible on each link. my chain busted on way out for ride today. i stopped by lbs and asked for a new one put on. the new one had C9 on each link. i asked if it was 9 speed, he said no, he acidentally put a 9sp on at first and it did not shift right. after that mistake, he said he pulled the chain in question right out of 10speed box and put it on. it shifts fine on the rack. i compare the width of my old C10 labeled chain with the new one and they look the same. i have not gone out for a ride with a load on it yet to find out if it is okay...

so... is it possible that a 10 speed campy chain has C9 on each link? supposing it is 9 speed, if it is okay for first couple rides, should i just not worry about it, or is it going to futz up my cog set?

thanks.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Campy chain compatability question [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should say c10. That said, if you are ever in a pinch, just use a Dura Ace chain. That's what I run on my C10 stuff. It's slightly thinner, so it seems to shift better and be a bit quieter. It's also cheaper. Supposedly they don't last as long, but big deal.

I've yet to try the Wipperman chain.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the SRAM PC89R chain on both of my Campy 10 bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it says C9 then it is the 9sp chain... it may "work" but I wouldn't want to run it for very long.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i busted out the calipers... the chain seems to be identical widths except that the new 'C9' chain has little nugget ears out of each link pin. the old 'C10' pins are flush with no nugget ears. by looking at it, it seems that the nuggets are a very tight squeeze between the cogs, and will wear on them.

i'll be asking them to swap it.

i thought it was interesting though, that the widths were the same. in fact, a shimano 9 speed i have, the width was the same too. so is all the difference in these things the pin length?? just doesn't seem to have to be this confusin'.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Campy chain compatability question [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel that the wippermann tends to roll smoother while the c10 seems to shift better.

I'm back to the c10's now.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy chain compatability question [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wippermans shift smoother and last better. Not to mention they offer a quick link set-up. The removeable link is directional, so be sure to face forward or it will skip.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy chain compatability question [mohawkbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely prefer the shifting on the c10. my wipp has lasted longer but that's because I tend to use it less.

I use the conn-x link with the c10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you've got a C9 chain. Shimano 9 speed chains will work ok on C10, as will the other options mentioned, however, I'd still run the C10 chain if you are running Campag 10 cranks/chainrings. I've seen several broken Wipperman chains and connect10 links. I've also seen the Campy chains fail, but usually as a result of careless installation.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Campy chain compatability question [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnA,

I also use the SRAM PC89Rchain on my Campy 10 spd drivetrains. But I have discovered that this chain will not work on the American Classic conversion cassette for converting a Shimano hub to a Campy 10spd drivetrain, as when using a Hed 3 tri spoke wheel.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply