Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

a little OT: my little sister is a machine
Quote | Reply
When she grows up I think she's gonna be the one who looks out for me =P

So last night she takes the remote control from my hand and I decide to wrestle it back from her. I found out it's not such an easy task. When I tried to tickle her I could barely move her arms away from her body (when she was lying straight on her back with her arms pressed to her sides). I actually had to use a bit of force to beat her in arm-wrestling.

Anyway here's the best part: she can do 15 full pushups and 30 whole situps.

Oh yeah, she's only 7.5 years old.

I'm trying to get her into triathlon (swimming first!) but I thought maybe tennis would be a good idea because 1) she's also a fast runner (at least for short distances, never tried to test her in anything long) and 2) There's a lot more money to be made in tennis.

The problem is she currently does gymanstics. She started last year but after two lessons they moved her up to the older kids group (9-10). I guess it's good for coordination and stuff at a young age, but I want her to be a triathlete (or tennis player ala anna kournikova!)

any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General rule of thumb - the fast explosive sports pay.

Reason = packageable entertainment.

Everyone in the world would like to be the fastest person alive: reason being - everyone at some point in their life has tried to run as fast as they possibly can.

Olympic 100m champion - you cant really get any cooler than that. Kind of like the Fonz.

Let her do what she wants and be greatful she is doing it and not munching corn chips and playing nintendo. If you keep being a good role model, chances are she will eventually gravitate towards triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gymnastics is a fantastic place for her to stay for a while. The flexibility and strength she'll get from this will benefit her in whatever she'd like to pursue later. It's amazing how strong they get with gymnastics and it's fun. No need to push her into something else right now (no matter how gentle the push is). It's important for her to do something she enjoys and is good at. The self confidence she gets from being good at gymnastics will also be with her forever and will help her do well in other sports (and life) later.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points Dawn gymnastics is a great allrounder at a young age. A fellow class mate at high school was a high level junior gymnast around 9 to 13 years and is now the womens world kite surfing champ. She would be the first to admit that the gymnastics background helped her imensely in that.

At the very top level of world gymnastics I think they have some issues verging on child abuse (in triathlon we only have issues verging on self abuse!) if she stays clear of that she should thrive in the sport and learn a whole lot that she could put into practice later in life if she so chooses. Heck, one day she might even go on to win the Hawaii Ironman doing back flips across the line!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When she grows up I think she's gonna be the one who looks out for me =P

So last night she takes the remote control from my hand and I decide to wrestle it back from her. I found out it's not such an easy task. When I tried to tickle her I could barely move her arms away from her body (when she was lying straight on her back with her arms pressed to her sides). I actually had to use a bit of force to beat her in arm-wrestling.

Anyway here's the best part: she can do 15 full pushups and 30 whole situps.

Oh yeah, she's only 7.5 years old.

I'm trying to get her into triathlon (swimming first!) but I thought maybe tennis would be a good idea because 1) she's also a fast runner (at least for short distances, never tried to test her in anything long) and 2) There's a lot more money to be made in tennis.

The problem is she currently does gymanstics. She started last year but after two lessons they moved her up to the older kids group (9-10). I guess it's good for coordination and stuff at a young age, but I want her to be a triathlete (or tennis player ala anna kournikova!)

any advice?
Yes. Leave it up to your parents =P
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why did you bump this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming. Builds a huge aerobic base. Gymnastics builds strength, power, agility, but it also is the source of a lot of injuries.

Tennis? She's almost too old. j/k If you really think she's got awesome hand-eye coordination, lightning fast reflexes, and sprint speed, then she would need pro training one on one a few days per week and group training a few days. (I played college tennis.) But, tennis is extremely competitive and the girls are huge. Have you seen Sharapova or the Williams' sisters?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Jan 22, 05 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is pretty old.. For now she's still in the gymastics because that's what she likes.
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gymnastics a problem??

No way. It's one of the best all around sports. Just ask 3 time Ironman champion Heather Gollnick, gymnast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benjamin Franklin was reported to have said something like: Parents, find out what your children want to do, then advise them to do it.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty good advice coming from a guy that was dumb enough to fly a kite during a thunderstorm ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: a little OT: my little sister is a machine [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAC wrote: That's pretty good advice coming from a guy that was dumb enough to fly a kite during a thunderstorm ;-)

I understand he did it more than once, too! Crazy mofo.

He also said, Hes'ts'ej meorje[ I meann..Halstetmkaese, ,,shoot, I'm in a hurry, he said, Haste makes wastawettestzs waste. Finally! gotta go ;-)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should look into LTAD - Long term Athlete Development - A coaching plan to develope each sportperson to there maximum potential. Each sport has an age at which you should start to do sport specific training if you want to reach your potiential in that sport. Gymnastics has one of the lowest ages, but many sports as long as the athlete has foundations in place (Agility, Balance and Co-ordination) the age for learning the specific skills can be much later. For cricket it can be quite old presuming that you are training someone who has good athletic skills - Run - Jump - throw. Gymnastics seems an ideal place to develope the skills.
Quote Reply