Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 8 speed components with 9/10 cranks [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i have listed the spacing differences, and what they mean. it speaks for itself, and those of us who lived thru it know it to be the case."

--No problem. Just get on the phone and call Shimano and tell those idiots to straighten up!! They obviously don't know what the hell they are talking about!! (I mean who cares that they friggin' MANUFACTURE the items in question?!).

Sorry, but I don't have any links. But for those that want to check me, see Shimano "service instructions SI-6BD0C" (the instructions for intalling 9-speed STI levers) where it says: "The ST-7700 can also be used with the Dura Ace 8-speed set." directly beneath the compatibility chart. Also see page 170 in Shimano's "2004 / Bicycle Components / Trade Sales & Support Manual" to get a second confirmation of this compatibility.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Nov 16, 04 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: 8 speed components with 9/10 cranks [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well greg we may be getting somewhere.

first off, on review i see that you were indeed speaking specifically to DA. i missed that, and was speaking to 8/9 issues in general. however, you were still incorrect, or at least incomplete in your appraisal of the situation. the 8/9 DA shifters do not pull the same length of cable, as you stated. instead, in order to gain compatibilty for a 9 speed cassette with a 8 speed shifter/derailleur ( again, DA only for the derailleur ) you need to run the cable differently on the derailleur clamping bolt. this affords the different cable pull a new leverage, and thus allows it to work. if you do not change the derailleur's cable anchor orientation/mount, it will not work. also, if you attempt any other 8/9 interchange ( 105, ultegra, LX, etc) without the alternate clamping DA rear derailleur, it will not work.

apart from that, the rear derailleurs will indeed go 'cross cassettes just fine so long as the shifter and cassette themselves match, as ben and i noted.

finally, there is evidence that a fellow can get a 9/10 thing goin on effectively using a rerouted cable anchor on the 9 spd derailleur. dunno what shimano sez about this. thanx for the conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 speed components with 9/10 cranks [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"dunno what shimano sez about this"

--But I do know, as I have read what they write and asked them directly. Suprisingly, sometimes if you ask the manufacturer, they will tell you what the system is designed to do (or not to do). And Shimano says that you can use 9-speed DA STI levers (or 9-speed ULT or 9-speed 105 sti levers) with an 8-speed DA rear derailleur and an 8-speed rear cassette.

Please tell me that you don't work for a bike shop...

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Nov 16, 04 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: 8 speed components with 9/10 cranks [sperera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Actually, come to think of it I have just stuck a Rotor crankset into a 10-speed system...is this okay?"

Absolutely, notice the different tooth CNC pattern on the Rotors? (as compared to Shimano)

This allows compatibility with 9 and 10 speed chainrings, Shimano and/or Campy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next