Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My cure for the winter running blues...
Quote | Reply
I'm sure lots of you guys do this, but I had just never thought of it before...

This is the time of year where my motivation to get out the door after work for a run just falls off the face of the earth. Cold, chilly air: I'm perfectly fine with. It's the pitch black, can't see your hand in front of your face nights that just kill me! I live in farmland Lancaster, PA and while I have loads of great rural roads for running, there are no street lights (obviously) to show me my way, only the mercy of the phases of the moon. While it's certainly serene out there at night, it's down right dangerous. I've had several near-miss falls in ditches along the side of roads, twisted ankles in pot holes, and frequently seem to land my shoes squarely in piles of horse manure in my travels. Cars also fly on these back roads. Of course I wear a reflectant vest, etc., but I still feel like I'm risking my life with each nightly outing.

So as I gear myself up for last night's run, it dawn on me that I had bought a headlamp several years ago for late night surf fishing excursions. I straped on my Petzl and went my run....

Wow! I'll never run again at night without it! I felt like a blind man who regained his vision! Cars slowed for me, horse dung was avoided, it was awesome! It was also just really cool visually with the LED light, like running in a bubble is the best way I could describe it! My motivation is back!

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Re: My cure for the winter running blues... [Amish John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amish John

I frequently suffer from the same issues living in rural West Michigan. I have the head lamp, but, often forgo it because its kind of fun running in the dark. I've even ventured onto trails and let my eyes adjust to the dark. Its amazing how well you can see once your eyes adjust.

When I run on the roads my night vision inevitably gets screwed up because someone drives by in a car with their high beams on. The last thing I want is a runner deer accident because I couldn't see the thing;).

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Petzel Tikka for that very purpose about two weeks ago, and have loved it. I used to have to run on the city streets whenever daylight savings time occurred. Now I can still run around the lake at a park nearby. It is very dark with no street lights, but the Petzel makes it all better. Very peaceful and enjoyable with no one around. I would highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: My cure for the winter running blues... [brett c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, too, just started running with a Petzl. It's amazingly light and stays put. The light, while bright, is very focused. This has been especially useful in getting myself out of the house without turning on the lights and waking up hubby. I've dramatically reduced the risk of tripping over toys and falling down the stairs:)
Quote Reply
Re: My cure for the winter running blues... [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the same thing but I clip a bicycle "blinkie" l.e.d. to the back of the headstrap to make me more visible.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John, you might want to attach a red LED to your back somewhere too. It makes a big difference and if its in back it won't bother you. I frequently commute on a "rail trail" and when its dark even though I have very bright niterider head lights I simply cant see some runners untill I am right upon them. Thats dangerous. I wish those runners would consider being struck by a 200 lb (bike and rider) moving a 20 mph.

http://www.angelfire.com/...355_rider/index.html

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doncha just hate those darn road-apples!!

I have the same issue everytime I'm up to see my parents in Leola (PA) - but - the worst part is actually being passed by a horse and buggy when I'm running...

Talk about feeling slow!!

Doug

(i just verbed myself, and it feels pretty good).
Dan Empfield aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: My cure for the winter running blues... [Doug in CLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doncha just hate those darn road-apples!!

I have the same issue everytime I'm up to see my parents in Leola (PA) - but - the worst part is actually being passed by a horse and buggy when I'm running...

Talk about feeling slow!!

You kidding me! Buggys fly past me!

I actually work in Leola. Leola is becoming a metropolis... They just got a Dunkin Donuts!

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Princeton-tech led headlamp for night running in many places overseas when my body clock is still on US time. So I end up out running sometimes at 2 am local time in very dark and forested areas. The light is critical to me not injuring or killing myself. And the Princeton-techs lights are great: made in the US with great warranties.

However for frozen winter running, another item is crtical: very small sheet metal screws in the outsoles of my running shoes for fantastic ice traction.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply