Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Water Bottle Hygiene
Quote | Reply
From the Airborne Website:

Water Bottle Hygiene
A tip I would like to pass on to every one is cleaning your water bottles. This past race season I had 3 of my racers, including myself, get sick from a dirt/moldy water bottle. Over the past season, I left a water bottle in my truck for the night.The next morning I got in my truck and without thinking about it, took a swig of the remaining liquid. I downed almost the entire contents before I noticed that a large piece of mold had formed in my bottle over night. I spit out the liquid that was in my mouth and felt sick immediately. For the next 48 hours I did not feel my self. I felt lite headed and not very energetic. One of my teammates was so sick he considered going to the hospital.

You can get very sick from this type of mold. If you look in the water bottle you presently use, there is a good chance some dirt or product build-up is on the inside of the bottle.

So here is a way to stop this problem.

Get yourself a brush that will fit inside your bottles that is able to reach all the ridges and crevices inside the bottle. I personally use Ivory dish soap and apply it to the brush and scrub them after every ride. Take a good look in the bottle before you finish to make sure you got everything. If you find that the taste of soap is always in your bottles, I recommend a mouth wash rinse. It will help take any bad tastes away. Pour a cap full in your bottle and swish it around the entire inside. You can leave it in to soak for a while as well.

By properly cleaning your bottles, you can avoid this unpleasant consequence.

Happy Trails.
Jonathan Skelcher Coach/Owner Fitfix Racing Inc.

Quote Reply
Re: Water Bottle Hygiene [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just throw them in the diswasher after every ride. Theoretically this should sterilize them.

Went to ebay and bought a case of bottles so I can rotate them as needed too.
Quote Reply
Re: Water Bottle Hygiene [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get one of these:

http://www.oxo.com/....php?products_id=103

Best $4.00 i ever spent.
Quote Reply