Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

i won! (photos added)
Quote | Reply
i'm sorry, but i've got to brag...

for the first time EVER, i won a physical competition. it was a cyclocross race, my first ever, and while i was racing C class, i still busted my ass for this win. i sat in, feeling everyone out for about 8 minutes, then decided to put my mark on the race and led by as much as 1:15, before cruising to the win with a 45 second gap. a picture will be posted soon, if there's interest.

i'm so amped. i never win anything!

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Last edited by: vidaeboa: Nov 8, 04 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: i won! [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have every right to brag and feel like the shizznit. Winning rocks! So you my friend rock harder than David Lee Roth himself!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congradulations on the hardware.

so did you wear the tights or not?

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go dude - post those pics!

i'm glad you asked. it ended up not being an issue. yesterday was cold enough that i rode in shorts, tights, and then my team shorts, as per someone's suggestions from that thread. i also had an underarmor base layer, a long sleeve jersey, and warm gloves.

i wore all those during the warmup today, then promptly stripped down to my team shorts, team short-sleeve jersey, and regular cycling gloves. it's like 70-75 right now! i never overheated, but i definitely got thirsty.

maybe next week, i'll have to try those tights.

thanks for the advice, though.

by the way, bastards gave me no hardware. i got about a dozen clif shots and a gift certificate for "road id". nice monetary value, but worthless as mementos. i think i'm gonna get road id dogtags that say 1st place.

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know the drill - pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Congrats on the win, amigo.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BUMP!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean, you never win anything? You do now! Congartulations! Enjoy it, you deserve it!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations...and mount a goddamn Cliff Shot package and hang it on the front door.

Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go Don. A cyclocross race sure kicks your butt doesn't it! I did the B race today and you passed me on your last lap. I've been racing tris for 19 years, those cross guys take it to another level. I was about 30th of about 35 entries.

You should get involved with the Cleveland tri club if you haven't allready. I remember you posted something about the club in the spring. They're having a free (to club members) swim stroke clinic at the Case pool on the 20th. This one is full, but they may have another. I know of at least 2 other Case students in the club.

Chuck

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude congrats!

Enjoy it!

justin d
Quote Reply
Re: i won! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you asked, i deliver... (please pardon the incompetent photography)

Last edited by: vidaeboa: Nov 8, 04 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: i won! [Chuck M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuck,

did i pass you before the paved straightaway? were you the guy i asked to stop shooting snot-rockets? if so, thanks for that! the race definitely hurt, but i think i can finish mop in the b-race, if i race again. i was told i should get more experience in the more open c-race, though. did you see the a-racers? they must've been doing 20 in the flats! ridiculous. by the way, i hope they made you do the right number of laps. some of the guys from my team finished in 67 and 70 minutes, respectively, but never got lapped. go figure.

i think i'm a "member" of the tri club, but i'm going to grad school somewhere other than cleveland, so joining is almost pointless at this point. i know allison and steve, they're the two case kids in the club, and they're very cool, but i'm too involved as president of the case cycling club. thanks for the invite, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was cyclocross? You're riding a MTB.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: i won! (photos added) [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! After over twenty years of running and seven of triathloning (is that even a word?) I have yet to win an event. My best ever is fifth place overall.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: i won! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right you are. indeed, it was a cx race, but it was on a course involving single-track and a steep, rooted and rocky descent that very much favored mountain bikes. of course, that's not why i was on a mtb... it's because i don't own a cx bike.

someday, i will have lots and lots and lots of money, and i'll have:

3 road bikes

4 TT bikes

2 CX bikes

3 MTBs

but that's another thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought a cyclocross race didn't allow for MTB's... anyway, congrats on winning, I won my first race ever last year and emailed everyone I know :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: i won! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as far as i know, UCI races don't allow MTBs, but most USCF races do... they just ban bar-ends (which didn't stop some poor bastard from the b-race from using them and hooking a tree during a tricky single-track section).

what race did you win? i'd love to hear the stories of victories from the "usual suspects" of slowtwitch. maybe i'll start a thread like that...

thanks, sac, as well as everyone else, for all the well-wishing. it sure warms the old ticker.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that was me clearing my nasil passages. Seeing the results, I did better than I thought I did. As for you riding B class. Could you have gone for another 20 minutes. If yes, might as well race B. It'll make you stronger, and like you said, theres really no "prize" for the C class.

In the A class, they are VERY fast, the guy that was second, Paul Martin, is a former NATIONAL amature road race champion, and former pro rider from the Lincoln Navigators team. And he was only second.

Chuck

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply