Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was 2nd at olympics. Even better.

Quote | Reply
        Art, I had the entire race on today while I worked on my wife's bike. I heard the anouncers mention that Lance was running but I never saw him. The men's race was won by Hendrik Ramaala of South Africa. Second was Meb Keflezeghi, American. The best finish by an American in years.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [Frank13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the UK papers, Paula's appearance fee for NY was almost 300,000 pounds. Finishing in Athens would have ruled out the appearance fee and the chance to win $100,000 plus a Smart car. Anyone who thinks Paula made a mistake in not finishing in Athens does not understand the meaning of the word professional. She runs to make a living and a half million in NY sure beats a crap finish in Athens.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [a.i.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry guys, but fans ARE allowed to second guess professionals. Thats is what fans do in every sport. If fans did not second guess coaches and players, there would be no fans. So yes, we are allowed to second guess Paula R, Beckham, David Ortiz, Peter Reid, or Tom Brady.

Personally, I think Paula could have jogged it in at the Olympic 10,000 m and still have the same performance at NYC. Dropping out of the 10000m was an ultra lame move. She took the spot of another UK runner on the team and could have at least jogged it in. Either that, or not use up the spot and given it to someone who would fight. Dropping out of the marathon was OK to save her legs for the 10K though. This is my perogative as fan, buying products from companies that sponsor Paula R.

Glad to see that she had a good race at NYC.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [merz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance's wife posted a 03:45 NYC marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I have to say is the UK sent her to finish the race not start. She dropped out 2 x at the olympics because she could not win. Todays race only reinforces how bad her OLY drop out was. Today she had a chance to win and stayed in to fight in Athens she did not and dropped out. Look up J.S. Akwhari and 1968 olympics.

JW

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [NYCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are so wrong. They sent her because she could win, not finish. Your grandma could finish the race, Paula could win.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't you guys at all aware of what goes on in professional cycling? It is extremely common for a rider to get off the bike in a race that is hopelessly out of reach. It's called saving your legs for tomorrow'ss race. It's what you do when you do more than a handful of races a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAC,

We are each entitled to our own opinions. I just feel that she should have finished the OLY race as she was very, very close to the finish. That said, I do think she is one of the best female long distance runners in history.

JW

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [NYCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, but saying that she was sent there to finish is not your opinion. The purpose of her participation was to be a medal contender and if you're in doubt, check with the objectives of the UK athletics governing body.

That said, she shouldn't have started the 10k in the first place.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you near the same level as Paula? Because you know, being an age grouper or an elite athete is just not the same...

How is that relevant?
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The explanation is there and it is relevant. Or do you think Paula is the same as you and me only faster?

-

Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [smartasscooch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The explanation is there and it is relevant. Or do you think Paula is the same as you and me only faster?
My question remains unanswered...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start a thread with "SAC leaves questions un unanswered"...

-

Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon SPOILER [smartasscoochie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Start a thread with "SAC leaves questions un unanswered" (sic)...

Just what I thought...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit at a loss why so many people on this forum seem to want to compare performances / motivation from elites and world class pros with average AG racers.

When we (AGers) race we are looking for personal bests, or to compete with our peers - we push ourselves to our best performance - but also realize that these races are our outlet - not our jobs. I have never pulled out of a triathlon (nor plan to) and am amazed when people do based only on a poor performance.

But when pros pull out of a race because of injury - or even more important the Risk of Injury many of you call them losers and quitters. wow.

I agree with SAC that Paula shouldn't have started the 10,000 but when she did and obvioulsy had no chance of even being competitive she did the exact thing she should have - pulled out so as to not add any injury or even fatigue to her recovery. Same with the marathon. She was running at beyond her limit and exploded - we've all done that - and yes most of us have sucked it up and walked / jogged it in. For her to keep going (especially in a race like the olympics where 4th place guarantees no one remebers who you are) would only add potential risk of injury and un-necessary recovery time. I remember watching the marathon - and in fact she did try to run again after her first stop - she just didn't have it in her anymore and so she stopped.

In my opinion she's better (and smarter) for having done that.
Quote Reply
Re: Talkin' out the side of your neck [cidewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit at a loss why so many people on this forum purport to know what's going on in the minds and bodies of every elite and world class pro as well as every average AG racer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next