Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 Help Needed Right Away!!!!
Quote | Reply
I just got home from work and unpacked my early Christmas present. I was doing the final assembly on my new P3 and went to put the seatpost in and surprise, I can't get my seat low enough. I am assuming I have to cut down the carbon post to size. If this is the case, how do I do this? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quite an oversight [QuintanaCockadoodledoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just got home from work and unpacked my early Christmas present. I was doing the final assembly on my new P3 and went to put the seatpost in and surprise, I can't get my seat low enough. I am assuming I have to cut down the carbon post to size. If this is the case, how do I do this? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thought about asking the shop that sold it to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Quite an oversight [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea. I thought about asking the shop but at 12:53 am EST I don't think I'll reach anyone. So I figured my next best option was to consult with the Gurus of Slowtwitchland. I just found a tech. Q&A section on Cervelo's website which kind of goes through the process of cutting down a carbon seatpost. Shouldn't be a problem with the right hack saw so it looks like I'll be getting up with the Roosters and heading to Home Depot before my inaugural first ride on the new Canadian thoroughbred.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Help Needed Right Away!!!! [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I cut mine off with a Dremel tool. Took about 30 seconds.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Quite an oversight [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put the post in the frame all the way and the measure the saddle height. Subtract that your planned saddle height from that number and that is how much you want to cut off (that will leave you with most post you can left in the frame which i find is a good idea for resale value). if you vary your saddle height a bit adding one cm to you cut off measurement won't hurt.

measure the cut of length from the bottom of the post and wrap some tape around the post at that point 3-4 times. lightly clamp it in you bike stand and hack saw away. start on the leading edge sideand just try to keep the hack saw going straight. if the cut is a little angular it's not then end of the world. take a fine tooth file or a dremel tool and file the edges of the cut surface inside and out to make sure carbon splinters don't start. voila you are done. quick and easy, japanese
Quote Reply
Re: Quite an oversight [ceitsab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR, ceitsab's method looks great to me. But, I haven't cut many carbon pieces...coupla steerer tubes and one seat tube. It sure seems simple...and much easier than cutting metal. You should be careful not to inhale the dust, though...very bad stuff to have have deep in your lungs, and the powder is so fine and light. Don't go blowing it around...wipe it up with a wet rag or something and wash your hands good when you're done. Another thing I'd add is to clamp the part of the tube you are going to discard, if it is long enough.

Ceitsab, what do you think about some clear fingernail polish on the cut surfaces after being smoothed? I don't know if that is a good idea on a normal seat tube, but, I did it on my Titan Flex, because the seat tube end sticks out in the air! I just thought it might keep any unravelling from occuring, even though it appears the epoxy holds the carbon fibre pretty darn tight. I didn't do this to the two steerer tubes I've cut, and they look just like when I cut them.

Thanks!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey QR,
can you tell us what kind of assembly is necessary for the P3? How long is it going to take?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the carbon fork come cut and preassembled or uncut???????

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Help Needed Right Away!!!! [marcello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marcello,

I bought my P3 from www.all3sports.com. I must say they packed the bike better than any other place I've ever mail ordered a bike from. It took me every bit of 45" to carefully remove all the protective wrappings. They took extra time and care to make sure this bike of beauty made it to me unscathed.

After successful extrication of the bike, assembly was straight forward and easy. First I mounted the front brake caliper, then the front wheel. Next I mounted the cowhorn/aerobar set-up onto the stem. All cables were already adjusted. Next was mounting the aerobar pads onto the aerobars. I chose the Profile Design Carbon Strykes due to their unlimited adjustability and because I'm not a big Syntace fan. Next I had to insert the seatpost and here is where I discovered I had to cut the post down. Since it was late, I decided to do this first thing in the a.m. when I was fresh. I consulted with forum members and with Cerevlo's website and with the input I received I easily cut down the post to my size. The bike was now assembled and ready for it's maiden voyage. Bottom line, you don't need to be a gearhead to do the final assembly of this bike. I hope this helps you and if you are at all considering mail ordering a P3, I'd say go for it and you will be quite happy!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Help Needed Right Away!!!! [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heavy D,

The carbon fork comes cut and pre-assembled. They certainly give you more than enough length that if you want to remove spacers and cut down the fork more, you have that option.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply