Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder separation rehabilitation question
Quote | Reply
Could anybody out there direct me to any source of information for rehabilitation exercises for a stage 3 AC separation? I hit the pavement in early March and ended up with a 20 gauge separation. Dr’s, PT and Orthopedic guy all had no recommendations other than rest. I got back to training quickly in order to make the starting line for CDA. Now, 9 months later and a few months of no swimming I still have a lot of pain and a weak shoulder. I have found some post-op rehab stuff but nothing for non-op. I talked to a Chiropractor who said he has “a machine” that would help but I am skeptical of Chiropractors and magic machines. Other than time is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder separation rehabilitation question [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think the PT would have exercises and stretches for you. Maybe find another one? One that works with athletes? I am so grateful for the doctors & PTs I have had and refer all my clients to them, who love them as well.

My PT has given me stretches (posterior capsule is tight) and strengthening (int/ext rotation with elbow at side & 90/90, make sure scapula is back & down, various PNF such as stretching a band across diagonally from foot up to opposite shoulder then back down with almost straight arm, and some similar to reverse flyes). All these were based on my specific issues, but may not be yours.

I would really recommend finding a good PT that works with athletes, specifically with swimmers and/or baseball players.

Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the pain never completely goes away. I had a similar seperation 11 years ago and my shoulder is still very sensative. You need to slowly build strengh starting with some rotating exercises and resistant band work. Find a PT that is willing to work with you there are execises you can do. To get the strength back takes years, at least it did for me.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Maylene & assman, I injured my shoulder back in the day,when all I did was lift, and had to take off 11mos. from the gym. I finally went to a chiropractor and he started me on some exersizes with the bands, I was back throwing around the steel in a few weeks! I started with a light resistance band and worked my way up to the heavier ones and in no time I felt much better. It's all about strengthening deep in the shoulder. You can strengthen the superficial muscles after you return to light but regular exersize. It's the small tissues deep in that complicated joint that had me on the "physically unable to perform" list. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be reassessed by someone who knows about these things. It should not be significantly painful at this point. Possibilities that come to mind:

- It was a higher grade than III - they come in 3 other flavours.

- You have injured another structure at the same time (eg the articular surface of the AC joint).

- You have secondary irritation of other structures.

- You haven't fully rehabbed it properly - you can't really get exercise suggestions without a physical exam.

I am not particularly skeptical of chiropractors, (though I haven't examined you) it seems unlikely that a magic machine would help this problem except perhaps in the last possibility above.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder separation rehabilitation question [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all who responded.

“Possibilities that come to mind:”

- It was a higher grade than III - they come in 3 other flavours.

The 3 Dr’s and Orthopedic Surgeon seemed sure but who knows.

- You have injured another structure at the same time (eg the articular surface of the AC joint).

- You have secondary irritation of other structures.

Quite possible. If I lay on my back and roll my shoulder forward it makes a loud and painful clicking noise.

- You haven't fully rehabbed it properly

Of this I am sure. I was back on the trainer in a few days, outside on the bike in a few weeks and in the pool in a month. I ended up running the marathon using my heart rate monitor as a sling. In hindsight not very bright but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

-you can't really get exercise suggestions without a physical exam.

It’s time to call the Orthopedic Surgeon for an appointment.

Thanks again

Dave
Quote Reply