Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Substitute for hills?
Quote | Reply
Ok, where I live is flat as a pancake mid michigan farmland. Hills on the bike kill me because I can't train for them without a two hour drive. Last year I spent three days up north specifically to train hills. It rained two of those days. For my commuter/touring bike I have a yakima one wheel trailer. Max. capacity 40 lbs. Would loading that sucker up with 40 lbs of kitty litter or something and going for a ride help simulate hills? Or is the fact that the bike will still be level cancel out the use for hill simulation? (nobody will convince me it wouldn't be a killer workout anyway, I've pulled that thing with 40 lbs in it) Any thoughts on this or some other way to train hills with any elevation?

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for hills? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that there is no real substitue for actually climbing. You can do big gear stuff to increase strength. I like the trailer idea, don't know if will simulate hills but your kill everybody w/ your new found strength. Some will say put your trainer up on blocks but I found climbing is best for climbing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would loading that sucker up with 40 lbs of kitty litter or something and going for a ride help simulate hills? Or is the fact that the bike will still be level cancel out the use for hill simulation? (nobody will convince me it wouldn't be a killer workout anyway, I've pulled that thing with 40 lbs in it)

I doubt it. I've ridden with my two kids in a trailer, and frankly, it didn't seem to affect the workout much except for accelerating. I think once the weight gets moving, it doesn't have that much of an impact, at least on flat ground.

On the other hand, the increased drag of a trailer might be significant. . .Kind of like riding with a parachute behind you. Maybe if you rigged up some kind of sail. . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for hills? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, I kind of thought that myself. On another topic, Brian I am still training for that 50k in dec. What do you think should be my longest run? I'm thinking no more than 22-24, what's your opinion? My first ultra.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a high resistance trainer with your 53-12, with the front wheel elevated.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not joking when I say this. Take your seat/seatpost out. You'll notice the bike handles a bit differently, but other than the parachute suggestion I think this is your best bet. If you don't stop pedaling you'll become much more proficient out of the saddle, and I do think this will translate well when you have to climb. Obviously though nothing really replaces hills, as they demand concentration and constant pedaling, otherwise you'll find yourself veering off to one side or the other or falling over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my 56 miler I did one 36 mile trail run and two 22 milers. For 50k I think you should be good. Do you plan on running the entire thing or are you going to take some walk breaks?

I ran the first 2:30, then started walking 1 min every 20 or so while I drank and ate. After that was pretty much in run 30-40/ walk 2-3 mode for the rest of the race. If I saw a big hill ahead and it was time to walk, I just ran until I hit the hill.

I think your going to do fine, it sounds like you have done more long runs than I did going into it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for hills? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definetly a run/walk race for me, I,ve been timing my walk off of the hr moniter when it gets to X I walk until it drops to Y I have been basing the number off of my rpe for the day.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, you can substitute hills on a trainer, if you have the right workout. (Thats the key)
Quote Reply
5 min stands [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Louisiana we used to put the bike in it's biggest gear and ride standing for 3-5 sets of 5min each. That will get your attention. Not sure it helped that much on real long clombs, but it sure worked the quads.
Like Gary T said some big resistance trainer stuff could help as well. G
Quote Reply
Re: 5 min stands [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hills are differetn because you lose momentum right? So you need to find a way to counteract momentum. A few things you can do: T

trainer is the best. Hell, if you did all your riding on a trainer you would get much more fit much faster. With a bit of resistance you get the same affect as a hill. Position relitive to gravity is the only difference. Front wheel on blocks? Never tried it but would seem to do the trick (body position).

Rubberband on the brakes. Be sure you have good pads and use a trainer wheel. I learned this one from an IMH champ. put rubberband around the brake lever. Just enough to put some pressure on it, not too tight.

Accellerate using big gears. Cant do this for too long but if you have a training pertner you can trade off towing eachother. Just grab his/her jersey and off you go. Put it in a big gear and slowly accelerate at set HR until the HR spikes.

Just put it in a huge gear and mash. Not the most effective but does give you some power. again check the HR. Alternate between 10 min mashing and 10 min super spin, same HR.

Hope this helps.

LaWoof
Quote Reply