Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman
Quote | Reply
For those looking for a new race to add to their 2005 calendar, this 2nd year event takes place in the sleepy town of Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada (see xtri.com for old article). Our goal is to provide as much value as we can for each and every participant. There is a total of $20K cash on the line (for any finisher, not just pros) and $10K+ in prizes. In 2004 we even raffled off a Cervelo Dual (thanks Gerrard). Last years winners were Craig Walton and Emma Snowsill -- each won 5K.

If you are looking for a great race on a very very tough course, we would love to have you join us.

Sincerely,

Chris - Race Director
www.sub10events.com
Last edited by: artie: Nov 5, 04 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman [artie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me what the race date is and entry fee
Quote Reply
Re: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman [rageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race is Sunday, July 24 2005. Race entry is $165 CDN. It goes up after Jan. 1st. You can get all the race details online at www.sub10events.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, finally a new race in a beautiful location. With a challenging course and great organization. Last year was so great and I hear this year is going to be even better. Great job guys. I hope all the pros come back again.

I guess my opinion is a little biased though.

mark@waypastfast.com
http://www.waypastfast.com

WAY PAST FAST

Quote Reply
Re: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman [waypastfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year (its first year) and was very pleased. The race was well organized and the course challenging. Definitely doing it again this year.

It's a good time of year to do as a race in prep for IMC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've got 10 IMC spots up for grabs too, and the odds of snagging one are pretty good right now (but I'm sure that that will remedy itself as you all start signing up!)

Anyway, we've got my wife signed up for Sylvan Lake this year and we're looking forward to being there! (I'll be the parent in charge of our 3 toddlers this time around - but hope to switch responsibilities with my wife for next year's race!)

Clay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris!

I came up with my friend to watch Sylvan Lake last year, to see if we thought we could hack doing a half. We had so much fun watching and cheering everyone on! When you say 'tough' is it harder then last year? How do I know if I'll be able to do it (I'm a newbie)?

Louise.

ps this is my very first post!
Last edited by: guyswaitup: Nov 5, 04 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman [guyswaitup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Louise,

I actually remember meeting you at the Expo last year. The run course is a little tougher than last year, but the change was made to acoomodate a finish at the Pier. The run course takes you back along the beach to Jarvis Bay and through the trails there. There are more hills, but there is more shade -- a definite benefit over last year.

In 2004, we had a lot of first time halfIMers and they loved it.. It's challenging, but I don't think you would have any problems finishing this course.

Hope to see you out there.

C.
Quote Reply
Re: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next year will be my second at the triathlon game, and I've decided it would be great to return to my home country (I grew up in Saskatchewan, have lived in Louisiana for the last twelve years) for a 1/2 Ironman race. I'm currently trying to decide between the inaugural Chinook half Ironman in Calgary at the end of June, or the Sylvan Lake race at the end of July. Right now, I see the main advantage of the Sylvan Lake race being the swim in Sylvan Lake vs. Lake Midnapore in SE Calgary. I might be able to swing free airfare to the Chinook half Ironman on account of a convention I could attend the same week. Comments anyone?

TC
Quote Reply
Re: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman [ghost in LA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering doing both, although I'm also planning on the Great White North 1/2 on July 3 as well, which, if I do Chinook, will amount to 3 1/2's in 4 weeks. I'm signed up for both GWN and Sylvan Lake, so Chinook would be the extra one - It'll probably be a last minute decision, as I'm expecting a new little tridug early in June as well.
Quote Reply
Better than GWN [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts

Swim is nicer than GWN, 1 loop and cleaner water.

Bike is nicer as well. There are some hills, but they aren't bad. They also have volunteers to grab your bike instead of having to search for your spot at GWN.

Now, with the run course improved this year, this is the best 1/2 IM in Alberta for sure.

Best first time race I've ever signed up for.
Last edited by: Greg: Nov 7, 04 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Better than GWN [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

So this means you guys still managed to get 10 IMC qualifying spots for this year...that's great. Do you know how these will be split between age groups, male/female, etc? I haven't signed up for IMC and would like to do it, if my time is good enough...which means you may see me again in the shop in the spring to get a new ride to get more comfortable...and faster!!

Laurent (from Calgary)
Quote Reply
Re: Better than GWN [lorenzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still haven't decided on the fairest way to split the spots Lorenzo. Should have a better idea in the next few weeks. We're capping at 500 so you still have some time :) If you're looking for a new bike, some new Cervelos are here and new Felts should be arriving in the new year.

Greg - Thanks for the positive post mate. The run is definitely better this year and allows for a Pier finish at the beach. But.... it's harder (yes, I can't believe I'm saying that). Also, I think the new water start is a big plus.

Later.
C.
Quote Reply
Re: Better than GWN [artie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't race in the Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman last year, but have raced/volunteered at other events organized by Sub 10 events. They have done a very good job at organizing the races and making sure the courses are measured accurately. Based on feedback I have heard from others that raced last year, it should definitely be considered for anyone residing in Western Canada or the Northwest United States.
Quote Reply