Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter Training Tips> bike
Quote | Reply
So my break from training is almost over, time to start thinking about winter training. The least of my worries is the swim, I start with masters class next week, that should be a good start. I am going to take Slowmans tips for the run, run all the time and run fast all the time.

So what about the bike? What can I concentrate on so I can improve my bike? I really want the bike to be my strength. Last year I did some resistance training on the bike, some CTS video TT training and that seemed to help. I do well on the flats (21.5mph 1/2, 24mph sprint) but bad when I hit the hills (17.6 at IMOO, 21 at moderately hilly Oly). I do weigh around 210lbs, so as always I will try to lose weight. Knowing that hills are my weakness I try to ride them as much as possible. Next year im concentrating on sprints and olympic races with a small possibility of doing a 1/2IM. I cant do much in terms of weights because of quad problems.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Training Tips> bike [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman can certainly answer better than I, but I don't believe he intended for his advice to be interpreted to mean run fast all the time. You should mix in some easy recovery runs.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also a big guy.Now is the best time to get strong.Don't be afraid to put out some effort.Just get alot of rest.I ride alot in deep snow and snow shoe concentrating on lifting my legs high.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Training Tips> bike [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Slowman can certainly answer better than I, but I don't believe he intended for his advice to be interpreted to mean run fast all the time. You should mix in some easy recovery runs.

Styrrell
I know, im just exagerating.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed

I mix my winter bike trainer between rollers, indoor trainer, and getting outside whenever its feasible.

Rollers one or two times each week for 60 min. This is just spinning and form, its mindless, but if you do it enough you can ride no handed. I've heard of some people riding rollers in their aerobars....never me.

Indoor trainer two to three times per week. I do intervals on my trainer, or just spin. CTS TT workout is a good one. Get the hill training one as well. Prop your front wheel up about six inches so that you can simulate a hill geometry. When I'm spinning and not watching a training video, I watch movies or sports.

Outside training is when the sun is out, the wind is relatively calm, and there is little snow or ice on the roads. With these conditions at 25 degrees F, I can last up to three hours if I dress properly. Typically I ride my CX bike or what I refer to as my ugly yellow bike (1992 Trek 1200). I have 700x28c tires on the Trek and that is fine for winter conditions. Don't expect to hit speeds as you do when you are riding in a normal kit as your additional clothing will add drag.

Good luck

Rocketboy
Quote Reply