Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike choice for snowy roads
Quote | Reply
I am heading up to Yosemite this weekend, and wanted to ride on Saturday AM, but there is some snow on the ground. Should I take the road bike, or go with a mountain bike? FWIW, bikes are not allowed off road in Yosemite, so I will be on roads or paths the whole time.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike choice for snowy roads [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mountainbike with fat tires, small knobby treads and low pressure. If their is any ice consider normal flat pedals.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Bike choice for snowy roads [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gracias.

JA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mountain bike for sure with some nice Velociraptor (or equivalent) tires, aired down to about 35 psi. I love Mountain biking in the snow -

Quote | Reply
If there is only going to be a few patches of snow throw some skinny knobbies on the road bike and ride it cyclocross style (if you have the clearance for a knobby tire). If there is a ton of snow or you don't have the clearance then your mountain bike or staying inside with a hot drink are probably your better options.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike choice for snowy roads [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" there is a ton of snow or you don't have the clearance then your mountain bike or staying inside with a hot drink are probably your better options"

Dude, are you serious? I'm racing in, like, umm...1,2,3.. 5... SIX MONTHS! I can't possibly miss a wokout at this critical stage in my training! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot drinks and the right company can result in prime conditions for some very good indoor conditioning activities. Just keep thinking "Long, slow distance" and it won't be over as quickly.
Quote Reply