Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight gain during taper
Quote | Reply
I am running NYM on Sunday. Over the last 9 months I have worked hard to drop from 207 to 193. This morning I tipped the scales at 196. I always find that as I taper for an event, I put on a couple of pounds. Obviously I am not going to diet this late in the game.

1. Do others experience this?
2. Is there anything one can do to taperto avoid racing a little heavier than desired?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight gain during taper [JHESEE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gaining 2-3 lbs is normal as you carbo load. Aparently, when your muscles store glycogen, there is some water that bonds with it.

To avoid gaining weight during taper, just eliminate the between meal snacks that you typically eat during heavy training. If you can't do that, then reduce portion size at meals by 33% and keep the snacks. If you just keep eating like normal and reduce activity, you will gain weight. This is not rocket science.

If you only gained 3 lbs, you are fine and will likely be down to regular body weight by mile 13 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read an article on this, although I can't remember where. Some athletes use hot tubs after work-outs, to avoid any chill that might stimulate their bodies to add body fat. It's especially useful for right after swimming, but I almost always get the chills after any workout. I was going to try and institute this while training this winter (although the lack of a hot tub might be a problem...hmmm).

Quote | Reply
Don't worry. Remember that carbohydrate holds water (hence the name). The fact that you're gaining weight indicates that you're glycogen stores are going up. Glycogen holds about 3x its weight in water, so if you increase the amount of glycogen in your muscles and liver you would have to see an increase in weight. All that's indicating is an effective carbo loading. The opposite effect is why low carbohydrate diets usually effect such a high weight loss early on, even though it doesn't reflect fat loss. If you deplete your glycogen stores, you'll lose lots of weight - but not fat.

JC

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply