Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lanzarote bike course
Quote | Reply
I''ve started a thread about 2 weeks ago on IM Lanzarote that asked for the grades of the bike course. Kenneth Gasque, the race director, just impressed me with an awesome description of it. Thinking that it might help others, here is his description :

Dear Richard!

Thank you for your mail and I will try to answer as good I can.

Our bike course is a ONE LOOP COURSE and you will bike around the whole Island.

The reason for this is to give the athlete a better experience then loop courses.

If you have been to www.ironmanlanzarote.com under COURSE MAP, you can here read about the best gearing for your bike, but your question is about the climbs and descents. You know when you are biking up you are also biking down hill.

We have 5 locations where there is a major climbs and the descents is special. NO PLACES IS DANGEROUS.

The first big up hill is from Yaiza to the Fire Mountains the distance here is 5 Kilometer and first really steep the last 400 meter with around 8/10 %, then it is down hill is after you have passed TIMANFAYA in our National Park here is a 800 long down hill with 1 turns, NOT DIFFICULT.

This area is pure LAVA LAND.

After this you are going 5 Kilometer flat and then a big downhill is in the town TINAJO where you are biking down through the town and here all athlete must be aware as you are biking in high speed, this is a 10 Kilometer long down hill and you will come to Club La Santa. NOT DIFFICULT.

Then there is a second long up hill from Famara Beach to Teguise 10 Kilometer and the last 800-meter is steep around 8%.

Then the next up hill is after Teguise up to MIRADOR del Haria here again 5 Kilometers with 6% in average.

The third big down hill is after the special need station in MIRADOR DEL HARIA, her is 5 bends like serpentine and here are all athlete using there breaks and no one go to fast, this is like biking down the mountains in TOUR DE FRANCE. This is 4 Kilometer long. DIFFICULT.

The next and must beautiful climbs is from Haria to Mirador del Rio here is 6 Kilometer and the last kilometer is 6%, this is best view of the Lanzarote IRONMAN.

The fourth down hill is after the MIRADOR DEL RIO, you have here just past the must breathtaking view in the race and the next 5 Kilometer is downhill and there is two difficult turns. NOT DIFFICULT

The last cliembs is up to Tias and this hill is 800 meters and 6%.

The last long down hill is close to the transition area from Tias in to Puerto Del Carmen.

The bike course is tough and beautiful, all athlete there have finish the race course have told me that we must never change the race course, no other places in the world have a race course with lava landscabe.

Remember that if it goes up hill it also goes down.

We have normal the breze from the atlantic and if you have the against you you will also have it in your back as you are biking around the Island.

I hope this is answer enough for you and I hope to see you here on Lanzarote eather in the race or on vacation.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to contact me again.

Bets regards from your friend in sport.

Kenneth Gasque

Race Director Ironman Lanzarote

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply