Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wild Flower Half???
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this race?

I've heard good things about it. However, the travel to and from seem a bit challenging!

Any feedback would be great! I'd be flying out of Portland, OR.

Thanks!

Enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Re: Wild Flower Half??? [TRI4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WF is one of the most famous races in the world. I have done the half (they refer to it as the Long Course) the last five years. It is something you definitely should experience. Having said that the last two years have been tough (first rain then extreme heat). It is a very tough course but great fun. I'm sure some will flame it since it is clearly becomining more commerical and some sat has "lost it's soul". I recall someone saying Tri-Cal makes you feel like a walking ATM machine and to some degree I agree with this. I am going to skip it this year in lieu of my first IM in June but I highly recommend doing the race at least once in your racing career.

Keep in mind it is in the middle of nowhere and camping is the way to go to get the real experience. The expo is unlike any other and it is always cool to see all the pros wandering around and very accessible. Go for it...just plan on tough bike and run hills and it can get hot.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Wild Flower Half??? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They overcharge you. Camping in the mud sucks. It's in the middle of nowhere. They overcharge you (did I mention that already?). That being said, it is a great course. I will be there in 2005.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is similar to an abusive relationship...all I do is think about how it's changed (not for the better) and yet I've returned almost every year since '92. I enjoy camping and I enjoy racing BUT I don't enjoy camping the night before I race. You can stay about 30 miles away in Paso Robles if you want hot water and an actual bed.

WF is like the Boston Marathon, you gotta do it at least once just for the experience. The course is challenging or VERY challenging depending on how well you do in the heat (almost without fail it's the first hot weekend of the year) and I daresay that you're going to find a race on the west coast that has tougher age group competition (280 men in the 30-34 age group is normal).

You mentioned that you were flying in from OR...flying into where? The race is located in a state park that's 30 miles from the closest town that I don't believe has an airport.

Miguel in the 'No...El Tribato
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a fun race, I went 8:35 their last year. I think I might be spectating this year. I plan to do a HIM 3 weeks after WF, so I am still undecided.

http://ricemobile.net/images/jay-115.jpg

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider driving. From Portland it is a pretty easy drive. I have had friends fly to San Jose and drive down but for the hassle of packing your bike and time in airports these days, you are almost there in your car. One long day.
Quote Reply
Re: Wild Flower Half??? [JLV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fly to San Jose, and rent a car. Or even better, rent a motorhome in Portland. Drive down and camp in style!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wild Flower Half??? [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!

How long a drive that from Portland? Hours? Miles?

Thanks!

Enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you put Decmber 1 on your calendar when the online entries open up. It took a little longer this year to sell out than in the past (I think it was around a week or so), but you still have a narrow window to decide.

I've only done the mtb sprint there, but have trained on the long course - very hilly so you'll want to train hills.

Camping is overpriced and crowded, but worth the experience at least once - I had a lot of fun even with miserable weather. Two years ago when I was there, it rained Th, Fri and Sat in buckets but it is usually hot that time of year as others have said. You need to get there early on Tues or Wed to get a decent spot. Motorhomes are a good way to go if you can afford it, but need to be there on Monday to get a hook up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to map quest and do portland to paso robles, ca. I think is is about 3 hours from San Jose.

It really is a great race, hope to see you there!
Quote Reply