Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Development
Quote | Reply
Does training for a 5K high school cross country season impede the performance of fast twitch muscle ability necessary for playing an explosion sport like soccer? If a high school or middle school student runs cross country will it affect their speed necessary to play soccer?

My former high school cross country contacted me wanting advice on this topic. He asked me because I was a former collegiate soccer player and one of his best cross country runners. He is having a run in with a local soccer coach who is encouraging his athletes not to run cross country for fear of losing their speed.

I believe training for a 5k only improved my endurance for soccer and I was able to keep my speed up to par and possibly even improve it.

TJ

Cheers,

TJ Tollakson
http://www.tollakson.com
CEO: http://www.rustersports.com and http://www.dimondbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Development [NiceTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are these soccer players doing short anaerobic intervals year-long to keep their "speed"? And isn't HS a little early to be specializing in 1 sport if you have the talent/desire to do many?

I did both in highschool and found that the added fitness helped my soccer game. I didn't think it slowed me down. I think they just have to make sure they are playing enough soccer or doing enough explosion type drills to keep the quickness and acceleration there during the high mileage.

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no real basis in developing fast vs. slowtwitch muscle when you're talking about the difference between soccer and XC.

What will really happen is that the XC runners will be fitter and able to train more for soccer without being injured, they'll also have more stamina so they'll be better able to run the other team into the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I played soccer and ran in college, and now have coached collegiate athletes in both sports. The biggest things you will lack from 5k training is pure anaerobic speed (5-20y) and quick lateral and explosive movements (ie, cutting, jumping). Both come back fairly quickly w/ training. You can incorporate running drills which can mimick some of the movements in soccer, but it is no substitute for game speed cutting. Make sure you do karaoke, backwards running, some low level plyometrics, short accelerations, A and B running drills, slidesteps, etc... twice a week should be helpful. Use it as a warm-up for a track session or tempo run.

Also, make sure you are doing some upper body work, since soccer is fairly physical (contrary to popular opinion). The contact and upper body stamina you can develop in the off season is beneficial. If you are training for 5k, then you should not put on weight from it either if done correctly.

Pro example, Raul Diaz Arce is said to have run up to 6 miles to practice and back while with DC United. In college we ran up to 4 miles for general fitness. Most HS soccer players will struggle with anything over 2-3 miles from my experience, which is very poor IMO.

If you enjoy running and training it will make you a fitter player which will make you better late in games. From what I have seen most soccer players are fairly lazy when it comes to running any types of distance. I got better as others faded. That said, I knew some low 4-min milers who weren't very good players. Tough to say in your situation, but nothing replaces experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fast twitch muscle fiber can not increase in number. The percentage of fast twitch fiber that one person posesses is genetic. The fibers can become more dense (thicker) but not increase in number. The benefits to endurance activity like cross country are many. Obvious improvement in utilization of glycogen and fat stores for energy, balance and coordination, and the ability to further develop fast twitch muscle fiber recruitment. During a race over uneven terrain the body will utilize both fast twitch and slowtwitch. I feel that an athlete who cross trains in the off season can only improve his or her potential for speed on the soccer field. I am a trainer with the National Academy of Sports Medicine and a newbie triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Development [stltricoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you do karaoke, backwards running, some low level plyometrics, short accelerations

Karaoke? I'm guessing you're not talking about singing in lounges- what is it?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobic distance training will turn glycolitic fast twitch muscle fibres into more aerobic fast twitch fibers. this will take the edge off your speed. since soccer is a combination of both one could argue. there is definately a balance. if you want to be a great soccer player running cross country is probably not the way to do it and visa versa. if you want to do both you could be ok at each. soccer has got to be one of the most demading sports on the body's energy systems, next to water polo which i won't comment on due to the inhuman treatment it subject the horses to.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Development [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a little karaoke with some sake in a sushi bar has helped my training immensly , i recommend 3Xweek ;)

actually I don't think I could effectively describe the karaoke drill in words, anyone else???

start facing the inside of the track at the 100m start line.... drive the left knee across body while twisting upper body the other way, do for about 100m, then reverse and go back driving the opposite knee.... uh, that doesnt help if you've never seen it done, sorry
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Development [stltricoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carioca or Carioka - It is hard to explain but you did a pretty good job. I usually see it done with step over in front with right leg, then step to side with left, then step around back with right leg again and continue the pattern, kinda like a weave. Like you stated, make sure you change directions.

I could only find one pic.

http://images.google.com/...Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Another consideration in creating a training program for the soccer player would be the position he plays and if he usually plays the whole time. When teams are low on guys there may not be a chance for substitutions.

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Twitch vs Slow Twitch Muscle Development [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there is not alot of examples on the web. The only thing lacking in that picture is that I would recommend bringing the knee up and across in higher plane, thinking about driving it across the lower trunk region if possible. Working on using the hip flexors, adductors, gluts more. When I do it with my legs tat low it's more of a loosening up type activity.

If he playes defense, do more backwards running and turning from backwards to forwards running. Attacker may do more just straight forward accelerations maybe with a minor cut and re-acceleration. Midfield, do everything!
Quote Reply