Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training with elites
Quote | Reply
well brian rhodes has just returned back to taupo and come back to swimming with us. it's real good having someone that fast train with ya! the pace has instanly gone up! looks like i could finally get my swimming fitness back!
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is fun training with pros. Except when they are carrying on with a conversation and you are struggling just to stay with them.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a bit hard when you're swimming ;)
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just prior to the sydney olympics i had the chance to run with the kenyan long distance team for a week. i rememebr running up aeroplane hill in melbourne's dandenongs and paul tergat asking me questions all the way up. i tried to answer them...and then threw up at the top. they all laughed at me in their kenyan way. at the time i was a 30 min 10k guy, they were about 26:20 odd...
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
26:20? Damn, didn't know there were a bunch of Gebs from Kenya. :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [RocketDogEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Tergat had the WR for a while. It was under 26:30, or close to. He was such a nice guy, but I only saw his heels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, absolutely he did! I think he held it right before Geb broke it. I was just giving you a hard time. That must have been some run, i can't even imagine. From all the things i have read, he seems like a real class act.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't just a run...it was a week of training. I was training for the Oly trials at the time (obviously I didn't make it or I wouldn't be a triathlete!). It left me totally fried as I was above my regular intensity levels. i did run a PB in the trials, just 10 or so seconds away from where I needed to be in the 5k.

After the trials I had to deal with an achilles injury that sparked up just after the training camp. I wouldn't do something like that again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you take it back if you could?

Training with the best ever Cross Country Runner for a week vs. injury

That would be tough for me to decide

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno. I ended up with surgery on my achilles, 3 months off running, and starting up a new sport as I was worried about losing out all over again. Mind you, none of that is Tergat's fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's rough, taking just 3 weeks off kills me. Running with him is still something you'll always remember vividly! Simply awesome.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I think Tergat had the WR for a while. It was under 26:30, or close to. He was such a nice guy, but I only saw his heels.[/reply]

Men's 10000m All-time List

Performer Performance Name Time (Pos) Venue Date
1 1 Hissou (1) 26:38.08 (1) VD Aug 23, 96
2 2 Gebrselassie (1) 26:43.53 (1) Hengelo June 5, 95
3 3 Sigei (1) 26:52.23 (1) Bislett July 22, 94
4 4 Tergat (1) 26:54.41 (2) VD Aug 23, 96
5 5 Paul Koech (1) 26:56.78 (3) VD Aug 23, 96
6 6 Ondieki (1) 26:58.38 (1) Bislett July 10, 93
7 7 Bikila (1) 27:06.44 (1) VD Aug 25, 95
8 8 I. Kirui (1) 27:06.59 (2) VD Aug 25, 95
9 Gebrselassie (2) 27:07.34 (1) OG July 29, 96
9 10 Chelimo (1) 27:07.91 (1) DNG July 5, 93
11 Tergat (2) 27:08.17 (2) OG July 29, 96
10 12 Barrios (1) 27:08.23 (1) ISTAF Aug 18, 89
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [turtles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your list is not up to date. the current world record is Bekele and is in 26'20''.
it was Gebre before in 26'22''...
you need more digging mate ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode with Lothar Leder, Markus Foster, Thomas Hellriegel and Kai Huntermark and Ain-alar Juhanson in Lanzarote on trainingcamp past september. We rode together for 70k , then juhanson turned left and Thomas and Marcus went back. Kai and Lothar decided to cranck it up and after 5' @ 350+ Watts I had to let them go uphill into the rocky landscape. 5 minutes later they were out of sight.......

http://www.wimdedoncker.be
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [wimothy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode with my buddy Wim De Bonker, he was pulling 350 watts up hill, or so he tells me because I don't have such a fancy computer on my bike. We didn't talk, I don't speak much of the Belgian language, but I was impressed. Now I send him out riding on his own, and give him poor directions. After 6 hours of riding in circles I challenge him on the run. The motto is, when training with the elite, fight dirty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That fast !
He probably used the Slowman how to kill your 10k plan.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [turtles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/inout=O/ageGroup=N/season=0/gender=M/discipline=10K/legal=A/index.htmx

10,000m All Time
WR 26:20.31 Kenenisa Bekele ETH Ostrava, 08 06 2004
Updated as at: 03/09/2004

Mark Wind Athlete Nat Birth Pos Venue Date
26:20.31 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13 06 1982 1 Ostrava 08 06 2004
26:22.75 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18 04 1973 1 Hengelo 01 06 1998
26:27.85 Paul Tergat KEN 17 06 1969 1 Bruxelles 22 08 1997
26:29.22 Haile Gebrselassie 1 Bruxelles 05 09 2003
26:30.03 Nicholas Kemboi KEN 25 11 1983 2 Bruxelles 05 09 2003
26:31.32 Haile Gebrselassie 1 Oslo 04 07 1997
26:36.26 Paul Koech KEN 25 06 1969 2 Bruxelles 22 08 1997
26:38.08 Salah Hissou MAR 16 01 1972 1 Bruxelles 23 08 1996
26:38.76 Abdullah Ahmad Hassan QAT 04 04 1981 3 Bruxelles 05 09 2003
26:39.69 Sileshi Sihine ETH 29 01 1983 1 Hengelo 31 05 2004
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: training with elites [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kenyans don't. Dr. Romanov indicated that he tried to introduce the method to them, but the Kenyans wanted nothing to do with it. They prefer to run "naturally" (i.e. it sounds like they don't do any sort of technqiue training - don't know this first hand but that's the impression I got).

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: training with elites [Dan3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe they don't work on technique, but Benoit Z (2h06' and change marathoner from France) did some training camps there and they do a LOT of plyometric exercises which improves running economy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Stupidity in training is when you think you really need to do a 6h-2h brick!

What is stupidity in racing?

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, no doubt they're doing the training. They just consider technique to be "God-given" (according to Romanov).

That was one thing about Romanov I liked - he was very honest about a lot of top runners not running or accepting "POSE" despite his best efforts. He admits that most of his success is in the triathlon community. I think it's similar to TI being accepted in triathlon but not really in Swimming.

I was skeptical of both POSE and TI until I got the books, took a clinic, tried them out myself and with athletes I coach. In the first two months of trying both methods, I've noticed a lot of value for athletes that are weak in the respective disciplines. For example, the inefficient and oft-injured runners have shown significant progress with the POSE drills, and the inefficient swimmers with the TI drills. I have no results to report yet but the athletes look "smoother" and indicate that it feels "easier" (less painful).

Dan
Quote Reply