Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Head tube angle and fork rake question
Quote | Reply
In the ongoing Serrotta thread someone mentioned that a 72 degree head tube angle and 40mm raked fork are contraindicated for a tri bike. I have an '02 QR PicanTi with a 72.5 degree HTA with a 40mm QR (factory) fork and it seems to handle ok. It is definitely slower steering than my road bike but I consider that a good thing in the aero bars.

Doesn't the geometry found on my QR fly in the face of these comments or does that half of a degree actually make a difference (or perhaps my bike is just poorly designed)?

Mike

Quote Reply
Re: Head tube angle and fork rake question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the specific dimensions you mention but I think its important to keep a few things in mind.

It is almost impossible to build an unrideable bike (unless you are specifically trying).

One mans quick handling is anothers slow.

How many other bikes have you ridden? Perhaps a different geometry would feel better, you just don't know.

My personal tri bike is considered to be unrideable by many, but I like it. It possible that a Dan geometry bike would be better, but of that I'm blissfully ignorant.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Cannandale IM 5000 is setup that exact same way and it handles great when on the aero bars. But I like slugish bikes... my road bike is 73deg HTA with 40mm rake. I had a Calfee with 74deg HTA with 43mm rake and I sold it because it was to twitchy for my taste. - Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My QR is 72.5 HT with 43 fork. Handles beautifully.

My new Yaqui is 72.0 HT with 45 fork. It ought to handle even better when riding steep and in the bars (I pick it up on Monday!).

My long-time Holland road bike is 72 HT with 43 fork. Also handles beautifully.
Quote Reply