Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder strengthening exercises
Quote | Reply
PTs and the like: What are some good shoulder strengthening exercises that help stabilize easily dislocated shoulders? My wife has very loose joints, so to speak. I just ran into the kitchen because I heard her screaming. Her shoulder dislocated while she was putting a gallon of milk back in the refrigerator. I know about the rotator cuff exercises where you stand with your elbow bent at 90 degrees and using resistance you abduct and adduct your lower arm. Are there other exercises that are effective? My wife is uncomfortable with a lot of exercises (bench press, for one) because they make her shoulder feel like it's going to dislocate. She's very thin and very flexible, and my thinking is that she needs to develop some muscle to help tighten her shoulders up.

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder strengthening exercises [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"rotator cuff exercises where you stand with your elbow bent at 90 degrees and using resistance you abduct and adduct your lower arm"

Get her a set of light dumbells--maybe start off with one to two pounds. Laying flat on her back she can do the abductor and adductors with her elbow on the floor for support.

Also, get some "Therabands." Tie a knot in one end so you can close it in a door. Have her stand at a 90 degree angle to the door and hold the other end in her hand with arm fully extended down at her side. Then she will pull her arm from her leg out (away from the door), then turn around and pull the arm inwards (toward the other leg). Switch to other hand and repeat on the other arm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same problem. While I haven't dislocated it putting a gallon of milk in the fridge, I used to do it regularly when I was rowing and we would do starting sequences.

The ones I do:

With weights:

Face down on a bench (1-5 lbs dumbells), arms straight along your body (just like when you are standing). Thumbs down, lift the heel of your hand towards the ceiling while keeping your arm straight. Think hitting someone with the heel of your hand as they stand behind you, only you are lying down. Do 30 reps.

Face down, arms straight out in front. Thumbs up. Raise your hands up while keeping your arms straight. Do 30 reps.

Face down, arms out to the side, thumbs up. Squeeze your scapula together to raise your arms, keeping them straight. Do 30.

Lying face up. Hold arms straight above your body. Use your pecs to squeeze your shoulders up off the ground. Hold 5 seconds. Release. Do 30.

With therabands:

Arm bent 90deg at the waist, upper arm and elbow held against the body (think old school fim noire pointing a little revolver at the bad guy). Holding upper arm close to body, and keeping forearm parrallel to the ground, rotate hand across your body. Do 30. (Theraband to the right when doing right shoulder)

Same as above, only rotate hand away from your body (theraband to the left when doing right shoulder, and vice versa).

Crossover pulls low-to-high: Holding arm straight, pull theraband from low (at hip level) to high (head level) across your body.

Crossover pulls high-to-low. Holding arm straight, pull theraband from high to low across your body.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has she gone to see a PT or doctor yet?

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder strengthening exercises [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She asked her orthopedic and PT about it a few years ago. Pretty much everyone in her family has *loose* joints (knee caps dislocate, shoulders dislocate). Surprisingly, her orthopedic recommended that she not get surgery (when was the last time you heard of a surgeon recommend one avoid surgery?). Her PT gave her some exercises (the rotator cuff exercises I described), but I'm curious of additional exercises that others have found useful. It freaks me out when I have to re-locate her shoulder while she's screaming at full volume: )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USA Swimming's Shoulder Injury Prevention

http://www.usaswimming.org/...d=700&ItemId=700
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder strengthening exercises [bitwiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great article. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got to the point that I couldn't do a push-up or reach behind me in the car, it was reconstruction time.

3 Months completely imobile

9 months of stretching and thera-bands and I started swimming as soon as possible becuase it was great for stretching and strength, first time in my life I swam. Stretching for 25-30 miuntes twice a day. Swim for about a half hour.

Haven't had a dislo since and that was 13 years ago. I play tennis, swim, volleyball, and lift weights. None of this would have been possible had I not taken a year out my life to fix the problem. And if I didn't swim I would be slowdutwitch.com now instead of this board.

Good luck to her, if she continues to let it go she should be able set it herself soon enough. I was able to grab my wrist, pull down with a slight twisting motion and it would pop right back in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. Hope both of you do it, it's a great workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend going to another PT. Maybe ask around for someone who is active with athletes - especially swimmers and ball players. Although the internal/external rotation exercises may be beneficial they are not very functional since most of her strength will be needed with her arm away from her body - she will need to progress. I am not going to guess at what she needs but seeing someone I think would be very helpful for her.

Good luck

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply