Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else have an allergic reaction when swimming in certain pools? I've tried swimming at a new pool close to work on 3 different days and that night have suffered with my nose draining. Would a nose clip help?

The new pool is very conveniant so if anyone has a remedy I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rex
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some pools seem to have a much higher chlorine content than others. Maybe that is it.....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get sinus infections if I don't use a nose clip. Yep, it's harder to breathe with my nose clipped. I don't care. The amount of air I can breathe isn't my swim speed limiter, but sinus infections screw up ALL my training.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also suffer from similar problems related improperly balanced pools. Some of the pools in the area have been switched to "Salt" water but that odor gets to me during long swims.

Nose plugs haven't worked for me but WTH give em a try! I think the most important thing is to find a pool that is properly balanced. There really shouldn't be that much oder.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [txtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of different chlorine levels. Most pools are safe at about 1.5 and are supposed to close under 1.0. Water parks tend to put a lot more in, my guess is around 6 but i could be a bit off. Ask the lifeguard where you swim to lower the level if a bit if he/she can. Most of them would be happy to actually do somethng at work. Bromine, or "salty water" tends to be less destructive to suits and hair and also tends to create less allergic reactions in people but it does smell funny. A plug might helo some. Also make sure you rinse off well after your swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually ended up developing an allergy to chlorine after 10 years of swimming. The indoor pool we trained at in college was pretty closed up, no air ventilation. It got to the point where I would have an asthma attack after just swimming 50m. I had tons and tons of tests run and the doctors finally said that the chlorine was burning my lungs and if I didn't stop swimming I would suffer from permanent lung damage. I was able to take a medical and keep my scholarship, but it just sucked as I wasn't ready to stop swimming. That was about 7 years ago, and I am fine now as long as I don't swim indoors in a small closed in pool every day. That is pretty much why I decided to do tris, open water swimming=no chlorine!! So, if anyone is really struggling with breathing due to too much chlorine don't let it go to far, give your lungs a break!

Meghan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to stop swimming completely in my pool as it's a high humidity indoor one.

As Gibraltar is a high humidity place with hot summers and mild winters the pool environment, amongst other things no doubt,made me develop sensitivity to mould. The enclosed pool environment gave me really bad sore throats as a symptom.

I couldn't figure out if it was the chlorine that did it but after I went to one of these toxicity tests where you hold a metal rod and it sends charges through your finger to determine levels of toxicity in your system mould came up as a culprit.

Avoidance of mould means no sore throats any more....so it was either feel great or feel ill by swimming at the pool.

Open water during spring and summer and autumn is the solution to carry on Traithlon training for me.

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason you are draining like that is b/c the lining of your sinus is not healthy. (I'm 95% sure of this given what I have learned from a couple ENT Dr's).

I've had much better sinus health since an ENT had me start flushing with salt water. Get a water pik and a special attachement. Put in some warm water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Turn on the water pik at its lowest setting and let it flow in one nostril. An amazing amount will fill your sinus and start coming out the other nostril. Let it run for a minute or so then repeat. It helps the linings of your sinus stay healthy.

My Dr. also put me on daily nasal steriods and that has done wonders. Plus I now have the strongest nostrils you've ever seen!
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do this after having swim pool nose/sinus issues?

How often/when do you do this?

Sounds like you would prefer this over simply slapping on nose clips? Pros/cons?

S.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too! In fact, it seems to screw with my immune system. I don't swim high mileage (usuall 1K to 2K a week), but if I try to do a high volume week (5K or more) I get sick and then I get a sinus infection. Will a nose clip really help?
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nose clip didn't keep everything out, especially when doing hard laps. I started the saline rinse after I got my first sinus infection. I do it 3-4 times a week when I am feeling pretty good, twice a day if my I'm not feeling good. People assume that it is painful or unpleasant. It is a little strange at first but it actually feels pretty good.

I like the idea of a saline flush b/c it is helping your sinus to become more healthy. In other words it works to solve the problem. Clips treat the symptom (ineffectually) without doing anything to solve the root cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Swimming Pool and Nose draining [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

Tom, I'm going to try your waterpic treatment along with nose clips. Hopefully something will work!

Thanks again!

Rex
Quote Reply