Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To wear the 305 or not?
Quote | Reply
Hey all-
I am considering whether I should wear my Garmin 305 during my race.
Cons- I have to take the time to put it on and get a satellite as I'm coming out of transition.
Pros- It will keep me honest during my run in terms of my pace.

Do you all use it for racing or just training. Its not waterproof so I can't start with it. Thoughts??

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: To wear the 305 or not? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman?

What you can do it get the satellite once before you power it down for the night. The day of the race it will find the satellites faster. Just hold it in your hand until you get going then put it on.

I wore mine and I liked having an idea of pace so I could hit a specific time goal. I'm addicted to mine now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mine on the bike. When it was new I turned it on before the swim, and just hit start when I was leaving T1, then took it with me on the run and just switched to run mode. I've done this for all my IMs so far and it's stayed on a lot longer than it took me to finish. All 3 times it said low battery when I was on the run, but still lasted at least an hour after I finished. My first IM was over 12 hours, and it was on 45 minutes before the swim start. So it lasted at least 14 hours.

I don't know if it would last that long now, it says low battery after about 3 hours now. But it lasts at least the 5-6 hours. It's around 3 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: To wear the 305 or not? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea about getting the satellites the night before. I think I'll give it a try! I want to be sure I keep honest on my run vs slacking off or going out too fast! So thanks

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the quick release bike mount/wrist strap so you have it on your bike and can easily pop it off and snap it on the wrist strap for the run. Sometimes I'll pop it off and slip it in my tri top rear pocket while I'm running with my bike to the rack in T2 and put it on the wrist strap as I'm running out of transition. The last thing I do before leaving transition for the swim start is to turn it on and find the satellites (and make sure it's set in auto multisport mode) and basically have it ready to go so when I get to T1 after the swim all I have to do is hit the start button. I'm getting the 310XT to avoid all this and just be able to wear it the whole race. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mine for every race on the run. IMs to sprints. Turn it on the day before (or morning of if you have time) and let it acquire satellites in your race location. I turn mine on for the run while I run out of transition. It takes a minute or so to pick up satellites usually but you can start the timer immediately. It takes me a minute or so to get my legs under me so I don't worry too much about reading pace those first few minutes. I love it and although the real time pace may jump around a bit if the run is shady, the mile splits are reliable so far. The battery life is not reliable. I've had it crap out on a IM training rides after 5 hrs. But at least you can turn it totally off and preserve some battery life.

My kid took my 305 to camp with her after i used for a Oly race and left me with the 405. I used it for the first time during a sprint last weekend. I hate it and it was not nearly as slick and reliable as the 305. I almost gave it to the guy running next to me. That bezel sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: To wear the 305 or not? [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned a great tip from the triathlon forum, set it to auto-lap. You can set it up to show you last lap pace. I now do it every quarter mile on a standard run and it works great. Sometimes I leave autolap off and just hit the lap button periodically to see where my pace is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply