Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The K2 2004.
Quote | Reply
"Possibly the toughest & most scenic one day cycle race in the Southern Hemisphere"

The course is challenging with 2 hills rising over 380m and 7 climbs exceeding 170m. The highest point on the course is the Kopu-Hikuai hill reaching 425m above sea level. Riders completing the course will climb a total of 2300 vertical meters.

4 seasons in one day: The race was started at 8am Sat 30th on the Main St in the tiny Township of Tairua, Coromandle Penn, North Is NZ.
Clear calm conditions were encountered by the riders at the start gun, however, this was certainly the calm before the storm, so to speak!!
After less than 1 hour in the saddle, the conditions quickly turned to light showers, and progressed to persistent rain!!
By the half way mark the skies had cleared, but a fierce westerly wind made the 3rd stage of the race difficult, but at least the sun was shining!
The final stage which included the longest and highest climb was nicely assisted by a well appreciated tail wind all the way to the finish line!!.

Great day had by all (bit of an assumption) Very well organised and administered , beautiful location for a road race that was well supported by the local communities.
Only the third running of the event which looks likely to become a permanent fixture on the NZ road racing scene!

1st Male home - Scott Guyton (NZ) 5hrs 36mins
1st Female home - Vickie Burr (NZ) 6hrs 09mins

The chilipepper: very pleased to get home in under 6.5 hrs -JUST!
Quote Reply
Re: The K2 2004. [chilipepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Fulla, how did you go??

Give us a run down on yah day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was pissing down in whitianga huh? which hill did u find the hardest? i didnt mind the one going into coromandel, but the 2nd hill out of coromandel was a killer for me. into a headwind. i got dropped by the group i was with at that point.

i finished just over 6.5 hours. 6.30.11. heh we were probably in the same group at some point. i got passed by a few people towards the flat bits at the end as both my hamstrings were cramping up!!!!!! it was real nice to have that tailwind going up the kopu hikuai. at one point going around the coast on the 2nd half i was by myself. i was trying to desperately catch up to the group in front. i didnt want to get beaten by a girl!!! (fiona docherty, bevan's sister, had stayed with us the nite before and her group had dropped me on the 2nd hill out of coromandel.

chili what were u wearing? i had on a red top and rode a blue bike. chances are we rode side by side at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: The K2 2004. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah mate, that rain made it somewhat unpleasant! i was considering bailing at half way if the rain didn't stop!!

I found that last climb the worst as i had to stop in Thames to piss and lost my bunch so had to ride the last stage solo. Tail wind was nice and i got a sweet draft off this dude who was flying all the way to Tairua.

Made Coromandel in 2hrs 50mins and was thinking of a sub 6hrs 15mins, but definitely faded at the end.

Highly likely we were in the same bunch bro!! - we had about 25-30 along the coast road to Thames, picking up a few stargglers along the way. Only a few in the bunch getting on the front pulling which was pissing me off as some of those pulls into the wind were cooking me! - nevermind great day and a good ride.
I was on an Eddy Merckx (blue) Black orca shorts and knees warmers, Lime green jersey with red rain vest over the top! - one of the dudes in the bunch had that LOUD orange Euskatel TDF kit on!

Bring on Taupo!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah you definitely would have passed me cos i think i made coromandel in around 2.47. i had to solo around the coast a bit. there was a guy i was working in with, and i wanted to try and catch the group in front. he was going a bit slow for me though and i felt like i had a fair bit in me so i just clicked over at same ole heart rate and ended up dropping him. eventually he caught up to me and told me off. hahaha grumpy old cunt. there were a few grumpy old cunts out there. haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the coast road solo would have sucked!!

i always think its a good idea to make some sort of verbal agreement with someone if you're gonna work together and take turns pulling. Its a tough call to go off on your own and risk blowing up or staying together and saving up for that last climb.

We has some real dicks in our bunch. As soon as they got near the front, they drifted out right and dropped to the back for the free ride, a couple of us said "hey, just hang on the front for 60 - 90 secs it all helps" but they wouldn't !!

How did your "special needs" bag work out. Saw heaps of people with friends / family along the way giving out fresh bottles and munchies - definitely the way to go.
I had so much shit hangin off me at the start that i couldn't wait to start eating / drinking to get rid of it!

Are you up for a lap of the Lake in a few weeks??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heh i was on the wrong side of the road where my parents had stopped. so i had to weave onto the other side to get my drinks. whilst i was trying to get it with my hands out this guy bloody went between me and my dad and moaned and whinged at him for getting in the way....when he could seee what was happening and had heaps of space to go around. i think its just as well i did get those bottles cos my hammies cramped up a lil. what was yr exact time?

i might be keen for lake lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heh i hardly ever took pulls at the front when it was a big group. noone really seemed to be working in together anyway on the groups bigger than 5-6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time was 6hrs 28mins and change.

I never use / reveal my real name on any chat forums, have learnt my lesson the hard way!!
You wont find Chris Pepper on the results page.

Gonna enter the Great Lake Cycle Challenge today.

Suppose to start a new running program today, but the ole legs a still a little sore!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know of anyone else on the board who did K2??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was quite surprised i wasnt stiff at all after k2. i wasnt sore at all day after. just felt a bit tight on the day. im doing my hard run for the week this arvo.

learnt your lesson the hard way?hah ive gotten in trouble over messageboard crap before. in the dance music scene.

i think nzmarkj or kiwipat did the k1? did u find the 2nd hill out of coromandel hard? that was toughest hill for me for the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found all of the hills challenging, but that second sucker out of Coromandel is a killer, especially coz you get a bit of a breather and think its over then you turn that corner and WHOA!! you're only half way.

Real glad we did a reccy over the course a few weeks back, as it helps knowing what to expect and where it falls - i really struggled with whangapoa last time but was ok with it on Satuday. Did most of my climbing out of the saddle, which i never really do, and just looked at the wheel in front of me, instead of how far to go.

Cracked up at that sign half way up Whangapoa "no drafting"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah i like hills which allow u to get into a rhythm. whangapoua is like that as is kopu hikuai. that 2nd hill out of coromandel broike my rhythm!!!
Quote Reply