Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are most triathletes Democrats?
Quote | Reply
I have always assumed, consistent with the somewhat off-of-center, renegade nature of our sport that most of us were Democrats / bleeding heart liberals.

As is often the case, someone recently pointed out this was an idiotic assumption and that I was again wrong. (Happens often -see "How much will Lessing win by" post - note this is not a "How much will Kerry win by post.")

Am I really that far removed from reality? If not, or at least for those of us for whom I am not, don't forget to vote!!
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [neilchanter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I though the off-of-center, renegade types were Republicans...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to slip quitely into Tibb's Lavender Room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only the one's riding cheap bikes and the one's that can not decide if they should do triathlons or duathlons, no duathlons or triathlons, wait - triathlons or duathlons, just a minute - what does Micheal Moore think I should do?

Take it easy, just a Friday joke.

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [3car] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the under-educated ones.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering the ave income of the triathletes, I would tend to think that they are Republicans
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey!

Look who popped up

How's thing going?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure but the Lavender Room reg's will help you figure it out......;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Only the under-educated ones.

That's mis-under-educated, buster.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps another room's thread....

I'm not sure about "triathletes", but a solid majority (75-80%) of Ironman partcipants are moderate Republicans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like most people, they are all over the board ... from nutcase John Birch-types to ultra-leftists.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75-80% of those doing ironmans are moderate Republicans? Wow - how do you know that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, I just assumed that given the income required and amount of money spent on gear that most triathletes were more conservative, if not specifically Republican. I say that because in my expereince the people who want to pay for the world want to use other people's money to do it.

I am not party-affiliated, and am a socially conservative, libertarian-minded person.

Seriously, though, how do you get that "off-of-center, renegade nature" == Democrat? You can't be a renagade and tow the party line atthe same time. Renagade implies thinking for oneself, which leads to having doverse opinions on varied subjects, rather than 'coincidentally' sharing every single one of the opinions that you are told to have.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't discount the location of many of the poster on this board. Many posters live in liberal areas, so I'm not sure what you see on this board is neccessarily a good representation.
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are no moderate Republicans anymore.. the party has been hijacked by right-wing operatives from the Gamma Quadrant. The reality-based community needs to take back the party, but I don't see any hope of that anytime soon..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [ktw70115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never assume someone's leanings by where they live.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of us are neither. It's not just Americans that post here. Based upon what I've read on this forum, Democrats seem a minority. Just check the Lavender Room. But who says this forum represents all American triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to think that triathletes are independent thinkers who will vote for whoever they feel is the best candidate for their needs without regard to political affiliation.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say we are ALL Republicans here...and if you are not American...you are the ENEMY!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You're either with us or against us" right?

You're a funny man, and no I'm not American, just a liberal Brit playing in the big US of A. ( And loving it too, I might add!)
Quote Reply
Re: Are most triathletes Democrats? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't presume that any one is a member of a specific party because of where they live. But, I presume that, if you take a large group of people from a give local, you will likely see bias in their political beliefs.

Certainly, you would agree that if we interviewed 250 residents of S.F. or Manhattan that they would trend to the liberal side, correct?

I would expect a different result if you went to an area that is popular w/ retired military officers, e.g, Pensacola area.

What do you think we'd find if we went to Salt Lake City?

And let's not get into suburbs vs. inner city.

These are just a couple of examples. There are hundreds more.

So, yes, there are generalizations that can be drawn based upon local. It doesn't mean that everyone person will follow that pattern, but the pattern will predominate.
Last edited by: ktw70115: Oct 29, 04 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a dig against you, but i could really give a rat's ass about another triathlete's political affiliation. i'll root for a fellow competitor regardless of that.

now if someone bikes in a pack like it's the tour de france, that's a different story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually you are correct. We (americans) live in a representative republic, not a democracy.
Quote Reply