Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tougher tires for winter training
Quote | Reply
Thinking about buying some big, tough (but maybe cushy) training tires for my road bike and would like to put them on soon and use them before winter ... And use them a lot in March and April: There is always a lot of gravel on the roads then, after the snow melts ... I also ride on gravel roads sometimes: There are a lot of places where I want to ride gravel for a mile or two, to avoid traffic and to take shortcuts.

I'm thinking 25s or even 28s: My Dad trains with Armadillos in the winter and they are pretty much indestructible. How about Continental Gatorskins? Touring tires? Anything as tough as Armadillos but with a bit more of a XC tread? Weight is not an issue. I figure heavier, slower tires just make you tougher and make racing tires feel that much faster when you put them on.

Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Tougher tires for winter training [tbinmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Armadillos are way tougher than gatorskins. Of course they also weigh a lot more. The gatorskins seemed to flat just as much as any other tire for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a leading proponent of Armadillos - very few flats - for a long time until I had 3 in row where the outer tread delaminated from the tire. One was on a 40 mph descent. I still cannot believe I did not crash.

I have been using Gatorskins for the last few years. Again, very few flats, but no quality issues and much lighter and better handling than the Armadillos.

Both tires seemed to be fairly resistant to cuts in the tread unlike several other brands (Michelin, Vredestein to name 2).

By the way, the road conditions here are very similar to yours.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!" Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to recommend a tire that I just have absolutely fallen in love with, but there is no way in hell I'm going to jinx myself like that. I trained on the 400 gram Armadillo's for a couple years, and they are second best tire I've run for training, but these current issues blow them away. Also, I've blown out two gatorskins on semi-shard laden roads in less than a couple hundred miles. OK, so the tire I like is the Vredstein Tri-Comp. I've blown out other Vredstein's as well, but the Tri-Comp is something beautiful. I run them at 145psi, though it says on the tire to go no higher than 175psi. They have MUCH better feel for the road than the Armadillos; I can descend with much more confidence.
Last edited by: JoeMWiley: Oct 29, 04 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No personal experience with these but the topic comes up frequently on the bikeforums.net commuter page and everyone (almost) swears by gatorskins.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Tougher tires for winter training [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think about just getting some cyclocross tires. they will be plenty stout, and you can take offroad shortcuts with them if you want. You can get sizes in clincher from 30 to the 50s. plenty cushy, and you will fell like you drank EPO for breakfast when you switch back to road tires. If there is not snow where you are , I don't think the knobs will be such a big deal, but if there is snow...

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Tougher tires for winter training [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about sizing? XC-type tires: that's what I want, but what's the max size for 700 road wheels and average road bikes?

I have read that 28 is the biggest I could go. Would a 35 fit with a typical road fork and rear triangle?

Thanks, by the way, everyone for the advice. I'll probably try the 25 Gatorskins, too: cheaper and less likley to flat than GP 3000s (my fave) -TB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti Sprinters with the Tufo sealent.

Good grip wet or dry. Reasonably light. Easy to change on the side of the road if needed. Very flat resistent.

My favorite winter wheel. I've never flatted and it's comfy on cold hard roads at 100 psi with no risk of pinch flats.

Look for some Mavic Heliums on ebay, you can pick up a set under $200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin Dynamics. 3000k+ and no flats in all sorts of weather here in Vancouver. I've put 200k on some Michelin Carbons and compared to the Dynamics at similar mileage they appear to resist cuts comparably well.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Tougher tires for winter training [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gatorskins 700x25, but throw in a set of thorn resistant tubes and tire liners (I use Mr Tuffy's) and you have an (almost) unflattable combination.

I have been running that combo, where before I would get a flat a week, I havent had one in a month (did I just jinx myself?) Heavy, heavy, heavy, but it makes my carbon race wheels feel really fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti GP 4-Seasons with Slime liners... Bullet proof. I use a 25 on the back and 23 up front. Only flats I've had in two years can be attributed to rim tape wearing out.

Changing flats in the rain sucks.

PS - Two years for me is about 12,000 miles.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Oct 29, 04 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Amadillos too, but in Chicago I've yet to experience a 40mph decent where my outer tread may delamintate - yikes!

Does anyone know offhand if Armadillos are available in 27"? I'd like to keep commuting on my fixie throughout the upcoming Boston winter.
Quote Reply