Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have your ever woken up only to relize you couldn't move your arms?
Quote | Reply
Ok this isn't a joke, sometimes after sleeping with my upper body weight on my arms for a while, I wake up I cannot move one or both of my arms (depending on if I was sleeping on one or both arms). It takes about 40 second of concentrating to get just one arm free. I have had this problem every time I swim once or more per day, for a period longer than two weeks. Sometime, I’m in class having a killer dream, when get a muscle spasm in my arm, it’s really painful. Has anyone else had any problems like this? I am 21 years old and in great shape. My VO2 max is in the 70’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Have your ever woken up only to relize you couldn't move your arms? [tooley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happens sometimes - constricted the bloodflow by laying on your arm too long?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Have your ever woken up only to relize you couldn't move your arms? [tooley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has happened to me but usually with one arm only. How about a body pillow to keep you from rolling on your front?

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do your arms feel asleep?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Have your ever woken up only to relize you couldn't move your arms? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my arms do feel asleep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and you might want to see a doctor. Sometimes they prescribe wrist splints that basically prevent you from sleeping with you wrists/hands curled up. I began to have carpal tunnel symptoms at age 22. My sister, who is a stay at home mom and retired attorney, had both wrists operated on so the narrow tunnel can be genetic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freaky. Years ago, I lived with this girl. We had a waterbed and one night, I must have slept on my arm. As it was losing feel on mobility, I dream't some weird stuff, like in a cheap horror movie. I was leaning on my arm on the rim of a vat of acid. I slipped and my arm dipped into the acid and started dissolving.

Now, half awake, I knew I was in the waterbed, but I could actually see the flesh dripping off my arm. It really hurt bad and it wouldn't work. Moving it from my shoulder, it would just flop around. I was screaming and trying to tear into the waterbed to put my arm in the water.

My girlfriend woke, screamed and jumped out of bed, completely freaking out. As I completely woke up, I realized what had happend and my arm was coming back to life. I apologized, picked the blankets off the floor and went back to sleep. The girlfriend couldn't sleep the rest of the night.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Have your ever woken up only to relize you couldn't move your arms? [robc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! My wrists curl and go numb. I thought this was because I did evil things with my hands before I went to sleep, and have never revealed this to anyone.

There is another phenomena where your brain has awakened but has not turned on your motor functions. You are awke, but paralyzed. This is the opposite of going to sleep where your brain goes to sleep but has not turned off the motor functions, so you kick, jump your legs, etc., and wake yourself up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I experienced some of these shoulder/nerve impingment issues while swimming in college. I had some mornings after a tough swim workout where I couldn't open my hands. So, I can tell you that this problem didn't go away until I did rehab exercises to strengthen the shoulders. You might try using strech cord and ice massage after swimming.

Another idea would be to have an experience coach look at your stroke and see if stroke correction would help the problem.

Good luck! Remember it's off season so back off the volume and focus on technique!

Enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax - it's normal, and common.

Deke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a song about it.

http://www.consumptionjunction.com/downloads/downloader.asp?file=cj_28783.mp3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Werewolf Syndrome ... anyone???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is called "Saturday Night Paluzy (sp)" , no joke. Normal, no worries
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I occasionally sleep on 1 arm in the wrong way and can't move it for about a minute after waking up. This is normal, just try not to sleep like that too often. The other case, which has happened once to me, is that sometimes you wake up and your mind hasn't turned on motor function yet. I woke up and couldn't move from the waist down....VERY DISTURBING. About 10 seconds later everything was back to normal...

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Have your ever woken up only to relize you couldn't move your arms? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a Website:

"Paralysis while asleep is the normal condition. The body secretes hormones which relax certain muscles and prevent you from acting out your dreams. If it didn’t you would be in quite some danger every time you went to sleep.

The process of waking up might seem quite simple to you. But it’s actually a complex process involving many physiological changes. One of these is the reversal of the paralysis. People experience sleep paralysis when the hormone doesn’t wear off fast enough as they wake up. They remain paralysed though conscious. Because they have little sensation from their body, if they are lying on their backs, it can feel like someone is sitting on their chest. Eventually the paralysis departs and normal functions can be resumed.

There is an opposite disorder where people don’t get paralysed enough as they go to sleep. In a minor case this results in twitching and kicking while dreaming, but in a major case they can get up and walk around.

A side effect of this paralysis is that your bed feels a lot more comfortable in the morning when you wake up than it did when you first got into it. It hasn’t changed, your body is just less sensitive.

None of this should be considered evidence of anything paranormal."

None of this should be considered evidence of anything paranormal?

Except in your case, which is almost certainly documentable as demonic possession.
Quote Reply