Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lanzarote wheel choice - 404 or 303?
Quote | Reply
I can buy either set of wheels...

Is a disc a REALLY bad idea? What about the sail effect....
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote wheel choice - 404 or 303? [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
404 definately. I believe they do not allow disks at that race. Good luck. Want to do that race myself someday. Make sure you tell post how it was...

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my 2 cents: if Lanzarote is your "A" race, then go for the 303, the 404 might get you in trouble if it's too windy (404 are awesome in Roth and Zurich though).
Disks were allowed this year but I'm not sure whether they made an exception due to the lack of wind, be very careful anyway. I saw a couple of guys with disks this year, but like I said this year was very unusual, since we almost had no wind at all.
Tire choice: go with the easiest to replace. I specifically bought 303 clincher wheels because (for me) it's a lot easier to work on a clincher than on a tubo.
Hope it helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the 404s.

I did the event in 2002 and one of the most surprising elements of the race is the constant heavy wind that blows across the course the entire day. That being said, I used the 650c equivalents of the 404 (earlier version) and wouldn't have chosen anything else.

A disk might possibly be difficult to handle and if my memory serves me correctly they aren't allowed at the event.

Most of the places on the course when you are travelling slowest it's a result of going uphill and into the wind. I can remember at least three specific times that occurs for extended longer climbs. All three are relatively straight and there is no avoiding the wind. Since you are travelling straight into it, though, I doubt a 303 vs. a 404 setup would help you much.

Weight isn't a factor between those wheelsets, IMO, so I'd opt for the faster of the two over the long haul. Besides, unless you have an unlimited budget on wheels for every race, 404s will serve you better for future events.

YMMV

Jeff Larson

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Ghandi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to play it safe, go with the 303's. In the end it really depends on the day, there are definitely days out there when a 404 might be too much for many. I remember a CSC training camp where I was descending behind Bjarne Riis (a pretty decent bike handler I would say) and he needed all the skills he had to keep his 404's on the road. He would get blown sideways several feet at the time, quite nerve-wracking when your right on his wheel. I was extremely glad those 404's were not on my bike.

That said, the key of the problem would be the front wheel, a 303 front with a 404, 808 or 909 rear would be a lot easier to deal with.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone.

I decided on the 404's. I can only afford one wheelset, and the 404's will serve me well in ALL my races.

Let's hope I don't get blown off the road! I ride a 650c bike (51cm P3), so smaller surface area helps!
Quote Reply